sixteen

Beverly

"Mel, he kissed me." I say, running a comb through my hair. 

"Shut up!" She squeals over the phone. "Oh my god, tell me everything."

"It was unreal." I say, standing at my closet. I contemplate what I should wear tonight. "It was literally... ugh, Mel. I haven't felt this way in so long."

"Beverly. You need to date this man." 

"Mel oh my god. His lips were so soft... and he just - he tasted like spearmint and wine and oh my god." Butterflies flutter in my stomach as I think back on it. "And then we went on a hike, and we talked for so long about so many good things, and he freaking picked a flower off the ground and gave it to me." 

"Bev, seriously. Okay, besides the fact that he's Harry freaking Styles, he sounds perfect for you. Please. I am begging you, give this man a chance." 

"Melody I know, I just don't want to rush into anything."  I sigh, tucking my phone between my shoulder and cheek as I hold up a top. "I just want to be friends for a bit." 

"Yeah, friends with benefits." She says and I can't help but laugh. 

"We're going to dinner tonight with his friends. I'm trying to choose my outfit." I say, holding up another shirt up to my body as I look in the mirror.

"Wear something hot, have fun, and get some tonight. I gotta go, Riley is calling me! I love you, bye." She says and the line clicks. I sigh, putting my phone down on my dresser as I try to pick my outfit. I wreck my closet and drawers trying to find something, and settle on a green silk tank with black pants with fun gold buttons. 

My phone buzzes with a notification.

Hi, see you very soon. H.

I smile. I loved that he texted me so often even if it was just something as simple as that. It was 6. I did my make up in 20 minutes and spritzed myself with perfume, before quickly fixing my hair and slipping on my black boots. I double checked to make sure I had everything I needed in my purse, and I hear a knock on the door. 

When I open the door, his green eyes catch mine like always, his dimpled smile showing immediately and his hands behind his back.

"You look amazin'," He says, stepping inside. 

"Thank you, so do you." I say. He's dressed in white slacks and a black shirt. 

"These are for you." He says, pulling his hands from behind his back and revealing a small bouquet of flowers.

"Harry!" I gasp. 

"Figured I'd get you some proper flowers." He smiles as I take them.

"You did not have to do this. Also, I loved that flower." I say, putting my nose to the bouquet. "Thank you." I say, setting them on the counter and going in for a hug. His long arms slither around my waist, making the butterflies in my stomach go crazy. He smelled of rich cologne and gum, as always. The hairs at the nape of his neck tickle my bare arms and I pull away. 

"You're welcome." He responds. "You ready to go?" 

"Yeah, I am. Let me just put these in a vase, and we can head out." I say, as I grab a glass vase from under the sink.

"So some of my band mates will be there, like Mitch and Sarah. There are a few other people that you'll meet, but you'll love them." 

"Great, that sounds perfect." I smile, placing the flowers into the water.

We head down the stairs and to the car, and the drive to the restaurant is quick. The place is dimly lit, and very busy. The noise of people talking along with soft music fills the room.