34

Was Bondita not talking to him ?

Aniruddh had noticed Bondita acting a little different. She came to give his coffee every morning in the office but didn't stay to chat. To school ride he gave Batuk and Bondita, she would just respond in least words possible when talked to. She would be busy with studies or house work when he got back from court. She didn't visit his office in the evening too. Even Batuk had been whining about how his Boudi was not spending time with him.

" Dada ! Look at Boudi ! Say something to her !" Batuk stood at the door of Aniruddh's study. Aniruddh raised his head to see Bondita climbing the stairs and a very irritated looking Batuk at his door.

" What happened Batuk ?" Bondita was out of site by now, he watched her go.

" Boudi is acting weird."

"Be more specific." Aniruddh already knew that. " Come in first."

Aniruddh moved to the centre of the room and sat on a sofa. He gestured Batuk to do the same. " Now tell me what happened to Bondita."

" She is not talking to me."

Aniruddh had noticed she was avoiding him but now she was not talking to others too ?
" Why ? Did you do something again Batuk?"

" No Dada. What can I do when she doesn't play with me at all ?

Aniruddh knew time for Bondita's monthly cycle was about now as she told him a week ago. It could be because of that she was not playing with Batuk.

" It happens sometimes Batuk. She will be fine in a few days." But Aniruddh was himself not convinced. He himself had tried talking to her. He would go sit in her room and she would just open her books and study, not talking to him. He offered to help her with her homework but she always refused. It was troubling Aniruddh. No matter what. Bondita never gave up on a chance to spend time with him. He tried asking her if there was a problem but she always just said everything was fine.

Aniruddh had been thinking of the night he confessed everything to Bondita and she decided to forgive him. Was she having second thoughts ? He couldn't blame her. She was too pure at heart, wanting to forgive anyone or anything. But it had to be hard for her. It was not something minor, your husband being attracted to someone else. No matter how much justification given, no matter how much he begged, no matter the reason. It was not something a wife could just go with. His Bondita might be upset with him and she had every reason and right to be.

But now she was avoiding Batuk too. She had a bond with her devar. They were the same age, same naughtiness, spent there time in school together. If she was not talking to him too, there was a problem.

" No Dada. She has been lying too ! She just says she has to study every time I go to her even though the exams are nowhere near."

" And you should learn something from her. She is not lying. She does study. She is trying to be on track for her exams. That is what you should do too."

" Really ? Then why did she get scolded in the class today ?"

This was unexpected.

" What ?" Aniruddh was worried now. She was a bright student. That is why he was shocked last time, when he was had visited her school to listen to her complaints. She was knee deep in infatuation and manipulation. What could it be now ?! She did not take her studies lightly.

" She had done all her home work wrong. It was the third time this week that she was called out for not completing her homework properly."

This was not possible. How could it be ? He himself saw Bondita studying. Studying hard. It was the reason she was not spending time with him too. Then what was wrong ? If she was having trouble with her books she could have asked him.