𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
"Sophia"
——

Everyone sits at the camp eating breakfast

Everyone sits at the camp eating breakfast. Jane looks over to Dale while she takes small bites of her food, embarrassed and afraid of what she confessed to him last night. Jane looks over at Glenn and she notices him looking over at the house, where Maggie stands shaking her head.

Jane sets her fork down on her plate not having an appetite anymore. "Hershel's barn is full of walkers" Glenn confesses as he stands to his feet. "And Jane knew it too" Glenn announces and Jane widens her eyes.

"Is that true?" Shane questions and Jane clears her throat. "Uh- Yes, but-". "We take you in and you keep a secret from us?" Shane questions. "Looks like I'm keeping a lot of secrets lately" Jane states as she crosses her arms over her chest. Shane rubs his beard and insists the group goes and checks it out.

"I knew we should've left for Fort Bennington earlier!" Shane shouts and Jane scoffs. "Well, my daughter is still out there. We can't leave her" Carol says covering her mouth to not let out sobs. "Yeah, I think we need to consider the possibility that Sophia is dead" Shane states honestly and Carol lets out a soft sob and Andrea and Lori are quick to comfort her.

"I'm so close to finding her man. We're not leaving here without that little girl" Daryl states as he steps up to Shane sternly. "Alright, Alright. I'll go talk to Hershel about the barn" Rick says trying to calm everyone down. "But- For some reason Hershel sees the walkers as sick people, and with good reason" Dale reveals as he talks with his hands.

"Wait, you knew?" Jane asks as she looks to Dale then slowly over to Glenn. "You really can't keep a secret" Jane states as she rolls her eyes. Dale's comment only makes Shane mad at Dale for not telling them sooner, but Dale thought they would be fine. The survivors know they will have to deal with this issue soon.

~~

Shane stands guard at the barn, testing the locks. Jane stands over by the RV with Dale and Glenn. Maggie rushes over and pushes Jane against the RV. "You just had to tell!" Maggie confronts and Jane furrows her eyebrows as she pushes Maggie back.

"It wasn't me! It was your little boyfriend" Jane confesses as she gets up close and personal with Maggie. Maggie takes a step back and clears her throat as she looks over at Glenn who's helping T-Dog with something. "He's not my boyfriend" Maggie states as she struts away and walks over to Glenn.

Jane went inside the RV to take a breath and cool down when Glenn slowly entered the RV with egg yolk in his hair and sliding out of his hat. Glenn sat down across from Jane at the table and set his hat down. "Is that... egg?" Jane asks as she leans forward and touches Glenn's head feeling the slimy egg yolk. 

She walks over to the small counter area and finds a rag. She walks over to Glenn and starts cleaning out his hair. She pulls out shells and chucks of egg yolk out of his hair. Once she was finished she sat next to him and cleaned out his hat. Jane looked over at him and realized he was staring at her. A smile widened on Jane's face but she tried her hardest to hide it which made Glenn let out a chuckle and look away from her.

Jane finishes cleaning his hat and puts it back on Glenn's head. "All good" Jane says as she lets out a sigh and Glenn adjust the hat on his head. Jane and Glenn stare at each other for a little bit and it's like a whole new world. It doesn't feel like the end of the world. All the troubles she's faced are gone and she's only thinking about him. Jane never thought she would think of someone like this... ever.

Glenn was slowly leaning in, fighting the urge to kiss Jane right then and there. The RV door opened and Jane quickly stood to her feet, scratching the top of her head. She looked over and it was Shane with an angry look on her face. "Where's Dale?" Shane asks and Jane and Glenn shrug their shoulders causing Shane to hit his hand on the wall before he exits the RV.

A couple hours later the farm had been silent. Hershel and Rick were gone so there were no chores assigned. Jane watched Maggie walk over to Glenn with a smile on her face. "I'm sorry I put egg in your hat.. How about I clean it?" Maggie suggests and Glenn chuckles then clears her throat.

"Oh, Jane already did" Glenn confesses and Maggie nods her hair slowly as she looks over to Jane who was also looking at her but once Jane and her made eye contact Jane looked away. Shane returns to the farm and starts handing out guns to the group. Jane pulls out her gun because Shane asked for it and handed it to him. He cocked it back and checked how many bullets were in it before handing it back to her.

Maggie, Carl, and Lori try to talk him out of what he's planning to do without knowing what he's doing. "Look!" Jane shouts as she points in the distance to the group returning with the two captured walkers. Catching up with them, Shane argues with Hershel about his view regarding the walkers. Jane breathes heavily trying to catch her breath as Shane draws his gun and shoots the walker that Hershel was holding onto.

"Hm! If it was a living human, it wouldn't be able to survive multiple shots to the chest" Shane argues as he keep charging. "Shane! Stop!" Rick shouts and Jane watches everything unfold with her eye widened in fear.

Hershel, in shock, watches as Shane puts the walker down with a bullet to the head. "You see we need to start fighting to survive and stop wasting time on pointless endeavors like rescuing Sophia and keeping the walkers in the barn!" Shane announces and Jane has seen Shane has officially gone crazy. Jane looks over to Lori and notices she is holding onto Carl tightly not letting him near Shane.

Shane walks up to the barn and breaks the lock down, letting the walkers free from the barn. "Oh my god..." Jane breathes out as she looks over to Glenn who puts his gun up. They begin to file out one at a time. Shane, Andrea, Jane, Glenn, T-Dog, and Daryl kill them as the Greene family watches in horror. Jane was actually good at her shots and killed 3 walkers with the gun and Rick doesn't try to stop them.

Just as Dale arrives, a final walker's timid frame steps out of the barn and into the sunlight. Jane slowly puts her gun down and squints her eyes to get a better look. The group realizes with horror that it is Sophia, still wearing her shoes and blue rainbow t-shirt, but her skin pale and her face in the snarl of a reanimated corpse. Jane covers her mouth and lets out a gasp as she looks at the little girl slowly creeping up towards them.

Carol runs forward in anguish, desperately screaming out her daughter's name, and is held back by Daryl. None of them can bring themselves to raise their weapon. Even Shane, who moments ago was in a furious rage over the group's inaction, is now taken aback in a stunned silence.

It is Rick who ultimately steps forward. Drawing his gun, he shoots her once in the head, having had the resolve to do what had to be done.