《 asking for permission 》

"He's going to say yes," Sophie promised.

Keefe kicked a rock as they headed up the flower-lined path. In his opinion, Havenfield's atmosphere was far too cheery for the conversation ahead. "Uh, have you met Grady? I'll be lucky if I leave in one piece."

"I'm coming with you," Sophie reminded him.

Typically, the daughter didn't stay for this talk. But Sophie had clearly been worrying about her father's reaction. It wasn't like it was out of the blue — they'd been dating for over two years. But due to Elvin lifetimes, Grady believed Sophie was better off marrying in a couple centuries.

"Ugh." Keefe stopped walking and covered his face with a hand. "I can't do this, Foster. He's going to kill me."

Sophie wrapped her arms around him, an obvious excuse to hear his heartbeat. It galloped. Among other things, Keefe's hugs were what made her fall in love with him. He was just tall enough that his chin could rest on her head, and Sophie could nestle herself against his warm chest.

It was perfect, really, the way they fit into each other's arms.

"Just relax," she whispered. "It's going to be fine."

He snorted. "If you're the one telling me to relax, then things have really changed."

Sighing, Sophie gave him a nudge forward. "Let's just get it over with."

"What if he says no?"

"He's going to say yes, Keefe. Trust me."

"I do trust you. But Grady? Not so much."

Sophie lightly smacked his arm. "Don't talk about him like that. He's going to be your father-in-law, you know."

Keefe swallowed the lump in his throat. He liked Grady — at least on good days. And clearly he was a better father figure than Lord Cassius had ever been.

He needed a good relationship with Sophie's dad. And her mom. But he suspected Edaline would be easier.

They continued up the path, fingers intertwined, and when they reached the door, Sophie knocked. It wasn't like she needed to — it was her old home, after all. But after living in Atlantis for two years, she'd lost her habit of entering freely.

Edaline answered, much to Keefe's relief.

Sophie dove into her mother's arms. "Mom!"

Smiling, Keefe watched the scene. He liked excuses to stare at his girlfriend. As pretty as she was as a teen, she'd grown into a gorgeous young woman. Someday, whether with permission or not, she'd be his bride.

An involuntary smile crossed his lips.

A deep voice cleared his throat, startling that smile away. Grady stood in the front entryway, arms crossed and face guarded.

Keefe passed Sophie and Edaline, who were still hugging, and awkwardly shook Grady's hand. He couldn't really blame the man for disliking him, but he could blame his lack of understanding.

"I assume you know why I'm here," Keefe said.

"I do."

They watched each other, Keefe's gaze a newborn bird, while Grady's was a hawk's.

Sophie's father tilted his head toward the living room, a spacious area branching off the foyer. "This way."

Keefe glanced back at Sophie, nervous, and she flew forward, grabbing his hand.

"It's okay," Keefe told her, more out of pride than anything else. "You don't have to come."

"Are you sure?"