Strike Two

(Reminder: This AU takes place before the events of mid/late season 4.)

Felix and Marinette reappeared at the top of the Eiffel Tower.

Marinette turned to look at him, panicked. 

"Transform," Felix insisted, fumbling with his phone.

"Now?!"

"Nobody's going to see you up here. Just do it, quickly."

Marinette nodded.

"Tikki, Spots On!"

She transformed at once, the ladybug costume concealing her identity once more. When she looked back at Felix, he had the phone to his ear, but then resorted to putting it on speaker. 

"Mother? Hello?"

"F-Felix! I'm kind of in-" 

Strike One's laughter crackled over the speaker, and a crash was heard.

"Amelie?!" Marinette called into the phone.

There was no response.

"Get away from me!" Amelie screamed.

Felix and Marinette stilled.

"Mother-" Felix started.

The line went dead.

"..."

Marinette glanced over at Felix.

"Felix-"

"It's fine."

Marinette hesitated. "But-"

"Look. That brat just attacked my mother, so that means she's still at the mansion. Call whoever you need, distribute the miraculouses, and de-akumatize her," Felix snapped. "You can bring everyone back when she's defeated." 

Marinette looked at her yo-yo, her reflection painted with worry. "But what if I can't? And what about the cat miraculous...?"

The memory of Adrien/Chat Noir hitting her with the staff flashed before her eyes. She froze, blood pounding in her ears.

Suddenly, she felt a hand grasp hers. She turned towards Felix, who was looking at her with a concerned expression.

"Don't think of my pathetic excuse of a cousin. He doesn't deserve to even be thought of," Felix spat. He met her gaze, his emerald-green eyes crystal clear. "He never should've hurt you."

Marinette's stomach flooded with butterflies. Not even past-Adrien could have made her feel like this.

"As for the cat miraculous..." Felix paused, grasping Marinette's other hand, his ears pinking ever so slightly. 

"I could be your new black cat."

Marinette's heart skipped a beat. She felt her face redden to match her costume's colour. How could she reject his proposal? 

Focus, Marinette. Strike One won't be at the mansion for long.

She clumsily slipped off the ring and slid it into Felix's palm. "Can I trust you?" she asked, despite already knowing the answer. 

Felix smirked, slipping on the ring. "Of course, darling. I'd risk everything for you-"

A scream rang through the air, snapping them both back to reality from their own little world. 

Felix tightened his fist, expression darkening. "Plagg, claws out!"

Once transformed, they both started speeding off to the Graham de Vanily Mansion.