Chapter 33 - Ears Pop

A Few Days Later... Final Exams... After the Written Test...

Mr Aizawa: "Right. The test exercise will begin shortly. Obviously, you can fail this test, too. So if you want to head to the forest lodge, then we'd better not see any pitiful blunders from you. I have no doubt you all learned what information you could test beforehand. So I think you already hold a vague notion of what you're doing today.

Denki: "Sure! Just like the entrance exam, we'll be fighting robots!"

Mina: "I can just see the fireworks!! The curry!! The dare sessions!!!"

Principal Nezu: "Sorry, I'm afraid not!! Due to various reasons, we're changing the contents of the test. Starting today!!"

Denki: "Wh-wha...?"

Mina: "No robots...?"

Principal Nezu: "From now on, we'll focus our tests more on person vs person battles. And emphasizing a teaching environment closer to that of a real battle! Which, boys and girls, is all to say... we will now have you form pairs to engage in combat with one of these teachers!"

Y/T: 'With our teachers...?'

Principal Nezu: "Now, it's already been decided which teacher you'll be fighting. To pass this exam, you must either make it through the escape door, or put these handcuffs on your teacher."

Mr Aizawa: "We will personally judge you based on all sorts of things, and we'll list the matchups now. First off, Todoroki with Yaoyorozu. Against me. Midoriya, you're with Bakugo. Your opponent will be... All Might. Ashido and Kaminari, you're with Principal Nezu. Aoyama with Uraraka against Thirteen. L/N and Jiro, you're fighting Present Mic. Asui and Tokoyami vs Ectoplasm. Sero, Mineta, you're up against Midnight. Snipe vs Hagakure and Shoji. Then Sato and Kirishima vs Cementoss. And lastly, Power Loader vs Iida and Ojiro."

Test Time: Jiro and L/N vs Present Mic

Intercom: "Everyone's at their marks, I take it?"

You and Jiro had been led to an enclosed forest area.

Intercom: "In that case... now's the time for your exam! Let's begin!! Reeeaaadddyyy...??? GOOOO!!!"

You've hardly heard the word 'go' before a deafeningly loud screech assaults your ears.

Present Mic: "YYEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!"

Even from across the field, the sound of Present Mic's voice is loud enough to send you to your knees.

Y/N: "S-so loud...!"

Jiro: "No kidding!"

Y/N: "Jiro, ack, can you try and counteract his voice with your heartbeat...?"

Jiro: "No...! My speakers aren't loud enough! Plugging my ears is doing nothing...! My eardrums feel like they're about to rupture!!"

She lets out a small groan of pain and closes her eyes to try and block out the sound.

Jiro: "By going the long way around, we got a little closer... But, whether we go for slapping on the cuffs or for slipping through the gate, he'll most likely stay right in front of the gate, making a standoff impossible to avoid.

Present Mic: "YOU'RE STILL NOT HERE YET!!!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!"

Y/N: "Any closer than this and my ears will pop... what do we do...?"

Jiro: "I don't know-"

Present Mic: "COME ON OUT!!!"

Jiro: "Maybe I could try to do that counterbalance-"

Jiro plugs her earphone jack into her boot but it's no use.

Y/N: "I-i... think... OW.....!!! I think I have a plan!"

Jiro: "Go right ahead- crap that hurts!"

Y/N: "M-maybe...! I can turn those handcuffs into water then- gah- I can turn into water and sneak up on him?"

Jiro: "It might just work!"

You grab the handcuffs and turn into water. Your water-like body travels quickly through the dirt.

Y/T: 'Almost...!! There!!'

Present Mic: "SERIOUSLY!!! GET OVER HERE!!"

With a jump, you turn back into your human form, suddenly having lost your concentration.

Y/N: "Jeez... He scared the crap outta me..."

Jiro: "D-don't stop!! We have to pass!"

Y/N: "R-right!"

Jiro tried to stay behind the trees and out of sight from Present Mic as she follows behind you. You turn back into water and go towards the shrill sound. Once you reach him, you creep up behind him and turn the handcuffs into their regular shape. They make a clicking sound as you use them against Present Mic.

Jiro: "Yes!!"

Present Mic: "HAAH?! Where did you come from?!"

Intercom: "Jiro and L/N have passed."

Y/N: "Yeah!"

You high-five Jiro and giggle.

Y/N: "Forest Lodge, here we come!"

Intercom: "And... Times up! The End-of-Term Exam is now over!!"