Chapter Five

The whole drive to the airport, Ember ignored Jamie who sat beside her, his stare burning a hole on the side of her face. She was pissed off with him and decided to just ignore him. Josh was too busy texting his girlfriend to notice. Ember wanted to slap Jamie to stop him from staring at her so rudely but didn't want to create a scene in front of everyone. She would definitely put him in his place when she got a chance. They reached the airport and pulled their luggage along for checking in. Finally when they boarded their flight, she was glad to have a window seat with Josh beside her. It was already late and they just went to sleep after take-off. 

It was 3 o'clock in the night when they reached Chicago. Josh's friend came to pick them up. They reached aunt Frieda's  house in fifteen minutes. Her aunt hugged her and led her to her room and she locked her door and fell asleep. 

The next day, an excited Julia burst into her room in the morning. "Wake up kid. Hey you've grown so beautiful, girl, " gasped a surprised Julia, staring at her. Ember grinned, stretching her tired muscles. 

"Hi, congratulations. So have you Julia, " said Ember with a grin. A tornado came into the room in the form of Jazz as he deposited himself into her bed. 

"Is that really you, Ember? What have you done to your face? You had around 50 zits on your face the last time I saw you," said Jazz, short for Jasper. 

"Shut up Jazz. What about you? You couldn't brush your teeth on your own the last time I saw you, " said Ember. Jamie walked into her room and Ember was glad that she hadn't changed last night. Did he not have a home of his home?

"Oh you can talk? I thought you were deaf and dumb," said Jamie with a smirk.

"I don't need to talk to as**oles," answered Ember. 

Jazz laughed. "He's a permanent house guest here, so you two might as well start talking," he said. 

"Why? Is he homeless?" Asked Ember. Jamie's jaws clenched and his hands fisted as he stormed out of the room. Ember looked at Julia and Jazz not understanding what just happened. 

"He's an orphan. His uncle died last year and he would have taken his life had it not been for Josh. He saved Jamie's life and brought him home. Ever since he's been living with us," said Julia. 

"Oh, I didn't know. Still I don't get good vibes from him," said Ember. 

"Just let him be. You can avoid him if you want. It's just a matter of a week," said Julia. 

"Yeah, thanks for understanding, " said Ember. 

"Come and have breakfast, it's already eight, " said Julia. They left her room and Ember freshened up and went to the dining room. Nothing much had changed since she'd last been here eight years ago. The same furniture, the same furnishings, everything was the same. The only thing different was Jamie's presence. She sat down between Josh and Julia to have her breakfast. 

"Honey, Ember's grown so beautiful, hasn't she?" Aunt Frieda said to her husband. 

"Yeah, that she has. How have you been doing Ember? Hope you didn't have any trouble getting here? It was a sudden decision as you know it all," said her uncle Cole. 

"I'm doing good. No trouble at all, uncle Cole. I just slept," said Ember. She could feel Jamie's eyes on her all the time. Why couldn't he stop staring? 

"Good," said her uncle. 

"Ember, you need to try your bridesmaid's dress once," said her aunt Frieda. 

"Sure I will," she promised. They dug into the delicious breakfast. Her uncle asked her about her career choice and she talked about her work as a pediatric nurse. Julia was a model but her fiancée was against her profession and wanted her to quit after the wedding. Josh was an architect and had a job atba good architectural firm. Jazz was studying cinematography. Ember noticed that while everyone talked, Jamie just quietly observed her. He didn't utter a single sentence so far. After breakfast, she took a shower and went to the laundry room to deposit her laundry. She saw Jamie sitting on the washing machine, playing some video games on his phone. He looked up the moment she walked in. She went up to the laundry basket and saw that it was overloaded but with Jamie sitting on the washing machine, how could she start it?

"Do you mind going somewhere else?" Asked Ember politely. 

"No, you go somewhere else, " said Jamie, watching her again. 

"I need to start the washing machine, " she said patiently. She wouldn't react to him. He got off the machine with a sly grin and came closer to her. 

Ember backed off and held her hands in front of her to push him if he came nearer. "Maintain your distance," warned Ember. 

"What if I can't?" Asked Jamie, coming closer. 

"I'm not interested Jamie. I'll report you to uncle Cole, " said Ember. 

"Coward,  just as I thought, " said Jamie. Ember knew that he was trying to incite a violent reaction from her but she wouldn't give in. 

"I don't need to prove myself to you. You aren't worth it," she told him, and simply walked out. She could start the laundry later when he was gone. Throughout the day, Ember succeeded in avoiding him but he was a leech and kept hitting her with rude comments. In the evening, Ember was introduced to Julia's fiancé, Jeff. He seemed a nice guy, an established lawyer with his own lawfirm. His granny wasn't responding to treatment after fell down the staircase. Her lungs were damaged and she broke her ribcage too. She was so critical yet she insisted upon seeing him married hence they had to advance the wedding date. 

The next day, aunt Frieda arranged a lunch for Jeff's family. While the whole family were gathered at the living room, Ember went to her room to freshen up. However, before she could go back to the party, she was caught and pulled onto a hard chest. She was shocked to find herself in Jamie's arms. 

"Let me go, Jamie. I hate you. I'll shout," she said with panic. 

"I've fallen for you, Ember. Give me one kiss and I'll let you go," he said in a hoarse whisper. 

"Never," she said pushing him away. 

"I'll have you by hook or by crook. You can't escape me," he threatened, releasing her. Ember staggered out and went into the living room to rejoin the party, her face pale and frightened. No one noticed since everyone was too busy with the party. Ember could see Jamie follow her into the room, sitting and watching her like a hawk. It sent an eerie shiver down her spine. 

The next day was no better. He caught her early in the morning when she had just gone to the kitchen to get coffee. "You can't avoid me, Ember. I've fallen for you which is a rarity since I hardly like my own self," he drawled, his hand holding onto her wrist in a vice-like grip. 

"Neither do I like you, Jamie. If you've fallen for me, it's your problem, not mine. You can't force me to interact with you," she said, taking her coffee and going to the dining room with him hot on her heels. 

"I want you very much, Ember. Give me a kiss please. I've never begged anyone like this," he coaxed. 

"I don't want to. There are many girls around, why don't you go to them?" She pointed out.

"I don't want anyone else but you. I've fallen in love with you dammit. Can't you see?" He sounded like he was hurting. Ember didn't want to listen to him anymore. Why should she kiss him? She didn't like him at all. 

"Please leave me alone, Jamie. I can't love you. I already love someone else, " she told him. Jamie looked furious.

"I'll make you mine and you won't be able to think of another guy," he threatened before leaving. For the first time Ember repented coming to Chicago. If she had only listened to granny. 

Ember took her coffee and went to her room. She didn't have any wish to sit and listen to Jamie's threats. He looked like he needed psychological counseling. After sometime, uncle Cole called her to his study.

"Do you wish to settle here in Chicago in future, Ember?" He asked her.

"No uncle Cole. I like granny house in Fordsville. I'm settled there. I wouldn't want to live here," said Ember. 

"You need to then go and check out your dad's apartment and gather whatever things you want. I'll buy that apartment from you since it's lying vacant and Josh needs a place of his own. Do you mind if I buy it? I'll deposit the money in your account," said her uncle.

"Yes uncle. I'm not returning back. So you can do what you please with the apartment," she said, relieved that her uncle had taken initiative about the apartment.