Chapter Fifteen

Ember couldn't remove his words from her mind the next few days. What did he mean by that? How could he have been waiting for her? He didn't even remember her. Life had fallen back into its daily routine with no sudden appearance of Rex in it. Her words seemed to have driven him away from her forever but it made her more unhappy and restless. She kept remembering the hurt look on his face and felt like a b*tch for hurting him. 

Adelaide came over to her house to invite her and granny Stacey to her bridal shower party. While granny Stacey was eager to meet her good friend granny Jenny, Ember wasn't keen at all to go. She just hoped that she didn't meet Rex. It would be easier for her to avoid him then. 

Adelaide's bridal shower party was a homely affair. So thankfully the whole of Fordsville wasn't invited. Finally it was evening and Ember went to Wildcreek Ranch with her granny, looking angelic in a white flowing maxi dress, her hair tied up in her signature bun. "Hey Ember. Thanks for coming," said Adelaide, glad that she had finally come out of her house. After that last outing to Helena, she hardly got any opportunity to talk to Ember. 

Ember smiled softly. "Granny dumped this dress upon me and pulled me along with her," she told her. Adelaide grinned at granny Stacey who winked at her, silently communicating with her. She welcomed granny Stacey and escorted her inside towards her own granny who too greeted her old friend warmly. 

They were hosting the event in an empty barn at the backside of Wildcreek Ranch. There was food served on rustic tables, music, seating arrangements, a dance area in the corner, a drinks bar, everything. The whole place was lit up with beautiful lights and balloons. Ember was glad that it was an all women's affair. She hadn't met Rex as she straight walked into the barn where all the women were gathered without going to the main house. The music was switched on and the girls hit the dance floor, all except Ember, of course. She just watched everyone with a small smile playing on her lips. 

"Ember, come on, join us," yelled Rihanna while granny Jenny tried to coax her. 

"No, please. I don't dance anymore, " said Ember, smiling at everyone shyly. She hated the attention upon herself and would love to stay in the background. 

"It's okay dear. Dance when you feel like," said granny Emma who was Adelaide's granny.

Thankfully the performance started and everyone was busy cheering for the girls. Ember was too busy watching them and didn't notice the grannies plotting behind her back. 

Afterwards, they all showered Adelaide with gifts. Ember and her granny gave Adelaide a complete aromatherapy bath set. The grannies blessed her with lots of babies. There was music, laughter, food, dancing and they all had their share of fun. 

Ember felt out of place. It had been a long four years since she had attended a party and she couldn't take part in the celebration like the old Ember would have. When no one was looking she walked out of the barn into the darkness, to get some fresh air. She felt a misfit amongst all this. After walking along the grassy meadows, with the moonlight casting a halo all around her she felt a strange restlessness. She was sure that someone was following her as the hair at the nape of her neck stood up. She looked all around her but found no one. Maybe she was just imaging things. 

She had gone two steps ahead when she felt a presence behind her. Whirling around to see if it was a grizzly creeping upon her to eat her alive, she was shocked to come face to face with none other than Rex. He was standing so close that she could inhale the distinct smell of whiskey on him. Was he drinking? He didn't look very happy though. In fact he looked tortured, his eyes tormented and red and he just quietly watched her without moving a muscle. 

"Rex? You scared me," she said clutching at her heart. He didn't answer, his eyes gazing at her as if hypnotized. 

"Rex? Are you okay?" She asked gently. 

"No," he whispered, his hand going up to her cheek, stroking it tenderly with the back of his hand. Ember closed her eyes unable to control her rapidly beating heart. He was all she had dreamed about all her growing up years and she was powerless to resist his touch. She leaned into his hand longingly. 

Rex was amazed at her response to his caress. He closed the  distance between them and crashed her against his hard chest, his hand on her neck, slowly stroking her, while his other arm around her waist held her captive. 

"Rex, have you been drinking?" She asked with concern. 

"Yes, I'm drinking myself to death," he said, his eyes dull and sad. Ember gasped at his reply.

"Why are you doing this to yourself?" She asked with concern looking straight into his tormented blue eyes. 

"What choice do I have? You hate me. You have such a low opinion of me. I don't want to live. Maybe I'm a misfit in this world, " said Rex, releasing her to go away. Ember caught hold of his hand.

"I don't hate you Rex. I'm just scared to dream," she said softly. He stood ramrod straight without moving as he listened quietly to her admission. When she didn't speak any more, he sighed. 

"Please don't do this to yourself. I'm sorry that I hurt you, " she said, not releasing his hand at all. 

Rex turned around and looked straight into her eyes. "Show me that you're sorry. I'll stop if you give me a kiss," he said with his eyes burning with desire. Ember was rooted to the spot hearing his words. 

"I.. can't, " she mumbled. Rex wrenched his hand free from her hold and started to walk away. 

"Then leave me to my fate," he said, walking away with dejected and slumped shoulders without giving her a backwards glance. Ember ran after him and held him from the back, wrapping her arms around his torso to stop him.

"Stop Rex, I'll give you what you want," she whispered against his back. He trembled and froze at her words, not moving, not making any effort to kiss her. He just waited for her to take the initiative. She released him and turned him around to face her and he obliged just like a puppet in her hands. His eyes were a blazing inferno as he waited for her to fulfill his wish. Ember shyly went upto him and wrapping her arms around his shoulders, tiptoed up to reach him. He didn't move or make any effort to kiss her, just watched her wordlessly. 

"Rex, lower your head, dammit, " she said, her cheeks flushing furiously. 

Rex lowered his head and just stared at her. Ember was too aware of his gaze to initiate anything. "Can you close your eyes please," she whispered breathlessly. 

"No," said Rex, without looking away. Ember was at her wits end. How would she get herself to kiss him with him staring at her like that? "I'm waiting Ember," he reminded her. She closed her eyes and planted a peck at the corner of his lips but his arm just shot out and grabbed her around the waist, clamping her against him. His other hand pulled out the pin that was holding her hair up, and it cascading down like a curtain around her. His mouth smashed to hers  in a heated and rough kiss, while his other hand molded her body into his. Ember was powerless to resist him, this was something she had ached for and couldn't believe that it was actually happening. 

"Open your beautiful mouth for me Ember, " whispered Rex, against her mouth in between the kiss. Ember did as she was told and he slipped his tongue inside, stroking her tongue with his own, devouring all the recesses of her mouth. Raw passion unfolded between them as he tasted her like a man whose life depended on this kiss. His hand stroked her bare arms, up and down. 

"Kiss me, Ember," he ordered. Ember slipped her fingers into his hair, getting a good grip and kissed him till he moaned with pleasure. They pulled apart for breath but Rex didn't stop. He couldn't. His mouth kept kissing her from her cheek to her jaws, then to her neck, making her hold her breath with excitement. 

"You are so beautiful, Ember," he murmured against her ear, brushing his lips against it. Ember was stunned to know that he found her beautiful. 

"Rex, please...," she breathed, not sure what she was pleading him for as his mouth traveled down to her shoulders, placing a kiss there. 

A commotion at the barn made them come back to reality. The party was over and she needed to get back. Granny would be waiting for her. "Rex, I need to go," she said and he slowly released her.

"Will you let me see you again?" He asked her hopefully. 

"Yes," she said with a shy smile and ran towards the barn, looking ethereal in the flowing white dress and long cascading hair. Rex stood watching, mesmerized by her beauty.