Chapter Twenty-One

Ember was shocked by Jamie's sudden embrace. She pulled away from him. This was the second time that embraced her all of a sudden.

"I don't want you to take care of me, Jamie. I'm engaged to the man I have always loved since I was fourteen. There's no place for you in my life. After you refused me, I consumed poison to end my life but unfortunately I was saved. They couldn't save my baby though. It took me four years to stand on my feet again, Jamie. Now that everything's going well for me finally, I don't want you to spoil it. Please go away, " said an unhappy Ember. 

Jamie sighed and looked down at his feet. "I'm sorry for everything, Ember. If possible could you forgive me? I'm stuck in my past and can't move on without your forgiveness," he said quietly. 

"I forgive you Jamie. I'll pray that you find a nice woman who'll truly love you," she whispered. Jamie nodded. 

"Thank you. Have a happy and fulfilling life, Ember, " he said and then walked past her to his motorcycle. He rode away into the darkness forever, never to see her again. Till the wee hours of the morning he spent at a pub, drinking to drown his sorrow. His life had no meaning. The first girl he ever liked didn't want him. He destroyed his life with his own hands. He killed his own baby with his hands. He had no reason to live. The pub was about to be closed down and he staggered his way outside and slumped on the ground beside his motorbike, slowly losing consciousness. Would he die tonight? 

When his eyes flickered open, thr sun was shining brightly on him. It was morning already and he looked around to see where he was. It was a small pub on a slip road off the highway near North Dakota, leaving Montana behind. He rode for two days to reach Montana all the way from Chicago to meet Ember and now suddenly he had no wish to return back to Chicago anymore. He had a small garage of his own there and was making a living for himself but now that didn't have say meaning. His child wasn't there anymore. 

He slowly got up and splashed his face and neck with water from a nearby public bathhouse. Mounting his motorcycle, he rode away towards the highway dejectedly. His head was splitting from a hangover and he needed medicine but there weren't any medicine shops in sight at the small village. He rode on absent-mindedly, looking for a medicine shop when a truck from the opposite direction came from the opposite direction and hit him. He lost his balance and was thrown off the road into a ditch along with his motorbike while the truck escaped. Jamie felt an excruciating pain in his head and leg as blood gushed out. His glassy eyes looked at all the village folk who were gathered to see what had happened. His eyes were closing and he knew that he was about to die when suddenly a beautiful angel with golden hair peered at him. She sat beside him, taking his head on her lap and stroked his cheek with her soft hands. "Angel?" He whispered. "Save me." He lost consciousness after that!

Ember sobbed after Jamie left as the memories of her baby came into her head. Granny tried her best to calm her and when everything failed, she gave her a sedative and put her to bed. 

The next morning, Ember wasn't in a mood to attend any wedding but it was her only friend Adelaide's wedding and she had to go. She wore a light coral off-shouldered dress that all the bridesmaids would be wearing and left her hair cascading down her shoulders. She reached Wildcreek Ranch with her grandparents and went straight to Rihanna's room where Renée, Raine and a few other girls were giggling away. Ember joined them with a fake smile in her face. Her eyes had searched for Rex but didn't find him anywhere. Rihanna had gone to fetch Adelaide from  her house and they waited to get her ready. Ember couldn't just sit anymore. She excused herself to go to the kitchen to get some water to see if she could see Rex. She had just picked a bottle when she saw Rex ina tuxedo, dashing out towards the altar. He looked at her and froze. Ember smiled at him, walking towards him slowly but he just blinked and went off outside. Ember was stunned by his behavior. Weren't they engaged now? Then why was he behaving like a stranger? Confused and a little upset, she walked towards Rihanna's room. 

"What happened Ember? Stop scowling, " said Renée with a laugh. Ember came to her senses. She needed to be happy today. It was her best friend's wedding, after all. She had forgotten to wear the ring Rex gave her today morning so could that be the issue why Rex was mad at her? 

Rihanna and Adelaide came in and the teasing and joking continued as they got Adelaide ready for her first look. She saw Rex again as he returned to his room but he seemed to be avoiding her. Ember felt a tug at her heart strings. Was he repenting already or did he hear about what happened to her and was having second thoughts about having any relationship with her. 

Finally it was time for the wedding ceremony to start and they all escorted Adelaide to the wedding arch on the sprawling lawns of Wildcreek Ranch. With the backdrop of the greenhouse and garden, the wedding arch was set up on Wildcreek ranch, right next to the creek. Coral flowy fabric was tied at one side with the other side was decorated with beautiful white carnations and roses, accentuated with splashes of coral peonies and ferns. The white aisle runner, the white chairs all created a beautiful contrast in the green haven. Coral pew bows were tied at the ends. The use of the same floral combinations as her bridal bouquet gave the whole place a matching and coordinated look. 

"Wow, I wish this was my wedding!" Exclaimed Rihanna and granny Emma chuckled. 

"First find your prince charming, dear. Who will you marry?" She asked and Rihanna colored a little. 

Ember walked quietly, her long hair blowing in the breeze, exposing her creamy shoulders. The moment she came out of the house, a pair of eyes has been burning into her with it's scorching gaze. She felt a strange fluttering in her stomach. She didn't need to look up to know where Rex was. She knew he was standing near the aisle, watching her. She looked up to smile at him but he looked away as if he didn't recognize her any more. That was no coincidence. Something was wrong and she would find out what it is. The wedding ceremony started and throughout the event, Rex didn't even glance at her once. After the ceremony, everyone went to freshen up for the reception party. Rhett and Adelaide disappeared into their room while Ember watched Rex. Shr wanted to talk to him. She saw him enter the room next to Rhett's and she followed him inside and closed the door.

Rex turned to look at her. His expression was one of sadness, melancholy. "What do you need, Ember?" He asked with a poker face.

"Why are you ignoring me, Rex?" She asked with concern. 

"You know the answer to that better than I  do," he said, turning away from her.

"I don't, Rex. Tell me," she coaxed, her heart froze as a feeling of dread settled inside her. Maybe he came to know of her past and didn't want her anymore. 

"There's nothing to tell. You can go back to the father of your child," he said, walking towards his en-suite. Ember froze and a tear fell down her eyes, down her cheeks as her heart shattered to pieces. She turned and ran out of his room, to a washroom in another room and broke down. So he came to know about her past and realized his mistake. She sobbed realizing that he broke off with her. After a long time, she fixed herself and went to the reception party. Thankfully, Rex was no where in sight, so she walked towards the bar and sat down to drown herself in alcohol. 

It was late when the party was over. After dinner, everyone went home. Ember was too drunk to be taken home so granny Stacey agreed to let her sleep at the ranch house with Rihanna or Renée. As Ember staggered towards the ranch house, the three grannies winked at one another and followed her to complete their incomplete mission. 

"Whichhh iisss ri Rihanna's r rooooom? Hic hic," she wondered, lost in her inebriated state. 

"That one, " said granny Jenny, innocently pointing towards Rex's room. Ember staggered towards Rex's room and opening the door, went inside. The room was dark, with a little night lamp in one corner. She blinked trying to make out the bed. She saw the comfortable and cozy bed and fell asleep, without a thought. 

Rex walked out of the washroom and lay down on his bed, when his eyes fell upon Ember. Thinking that he was hallucinating in his drunken state, he closed his eyes and asleep.

The three grannies shared knowing giggles as their plan A was successful.