Chapter Twenty-Nine

It was nearly an hour since Rex had left, Ember slowly got up to finish her kitchen work knowing fully well that everything was over. Rex had escaped without informing her. Huh! All men were the same.  They couldn't be trusted. 

As she walked into the living room, the main door suddenly unlocked and Rex staggered inside carrying a mountain load of shopping bags, suitcase full of clothes and much more. Ember's mouth hung open seeing him. It seemed as if  he had robbed a departmental store! 

"Where were you ? I thought you'd gone to get a few pictures, " said Ember, perplexed. Rex grinned. 

"Did you miss me? Did you think that I ran away? You did, didn't you?" He asked wiggling his eyebrows. 

"I was celebrating that you went away," she lied, going towards the bags that he brought in. His hand stretched and wiped a semi-dried teardrop off her cheek.

"Celebrating with tears?" Asked Rex, tenderly looking at her.  He realized that she might have been crying thinking that he had left but knew that she wouldn't admit it aloud. 

"Uh.. these are tears of joy. Okay? So what have you got here?" She asked, opening the shopping bags excitedly like a child. The first one had groceries and food items to last them a week if not more. She excitedly opened the next one. It had all grooming stuff, men's shaving kit, toothpaste,  men's bodywash, moisturizer, cologne and so on and so forth. She looked at him with curiosity. 

"Are you opening a men's beauty salon here or what?" She asked. 

"No silly. They're for me. You wouldn't kiss a caveman would you? At Blake's house, I was fine without a toothbrush but here I had to buy them all," he said with a shit-eating grin seeing her horror-stricken expression. 

"You're sickening, " she said rolling her eyes. 

She opened the next bag to find ice creams, cookies,  muffins, brownies and every other thing to woo her. "What are these for?" She asked. 

"Tools to win you over. Granny had told me long ago that you love them," he admitted. Ember shook her head and went to the next bag. It had more groceries. 

"Don't touch this one unless of course you really want to," he said pointing at the last bag. Ember's curiosity was piqued. She opened it and saw  that the bag was full of clothes that he had bought for himself but what caught her attention were the ten packs of men's underwear and numerous boxes of c*ndoms. She quickly left the bag as if stung and looked up at him with horror. 

"So many underwear?" She asked with curiosity. 

Rex grinned. "What? I took only a distended and old one to Blake's house. You wouldn't want to see me in that everyday?" He asked. Ember closed her ears and ran towards the kitchen. 

"Shut up Rex. I wouldn't want you to walk around in your underwear, whether old or new, in my house," she yelled, her face red with embarrassment. 

"Okay then. I'll roam around without one," he said peeping imto her kitchen. "By the way there were other things inside the bag. Hope you haven't seen them?" He said with a chuckle. 

"Why did you buy those?" She asked, blushing all the more. 

"You mean the c*ndoms? Obviously, I don't want you to get pregnant, right now, " he shrugged. Ember just gaped at him. Did he have to be so blunt?

"I'm not having s*x with you Rex, " she told him pointedly. 

"Okay you don't. I'll make love to you," he said, walking away whistling. 

Ember just couldn't stop her rapidly beating heart, she could hear him in her bedroom arranging his stuff in her closet. She fidgeted here and there unnecessarily wasting time. She had no wish to listen to his rotten mouth spew out dirty words.