twenty five

Hoseok cleared his throat and the curious stares of the married couple faded, both glancing away, oblivious to the knowing smug smiles plastered upon their friend' faces.

"Well," Namjoon had a smirk on his lips as he assisted in cleaning up Jungkook's wounds. "I presume the borders are free from trespassers or any other danger as a matter of fact?"

"That is impossible to say," Taehyung grimaced as the burning ointment stung his tender skin. "They say rebels are camping all within the forests. It's only a matter of time until they all reveal themselves and ambush our soldiers,"

"So what do we do?" The Jung boy questioned, making a face at the blood spilling from Jimin's arms.

"We stay on guard," Jungkook answered simply. "There's nothing more that we can do than hope that they won't attack,"

"Because if they do," The Emperor's words gained attention. "Then they will be asking for a war,"

It took the group a minute to fully process the monarch's threat. Jangmi met eyes with her husband once more, and this time, she saw the clear truth radiating from his eyes. 

If it was truly necessary, he would wage a war.

"Well, let's hope it doesn't go that far," Jin muttered. "The economy won't recover from that quickly, you know?"

...

"Where's his Majesty?" The Choi girl frowned at the lack of presence of the Emperor, who had now become accustomed to dining with his friends and his wife. 

"He has a fever," Namjoon informed the girl. "It seems that the cold weather got to him,"

"May I - may I see him?"

Jangmi was once more oblivious to the smug exchange of looks that were spread throughout the dining room. Rather, her mind was whirring with worry of the Emperor. He had been bruised and bloodied up and now he had caught a fever.

"Of course, Jangmi," Hoseok smiled. "You don't ever need to ask one of us to see your husband,"

Bowing, the Empress exited the room, climbing the stairs leading to the dark chambers of the Emperor. Her knuckles rapped the tough wood of the door and a faint grumble of "Enter!" was heard as she allowed herself inside.

The Choi girl refrained a gasp as her eyes flitted everywhere. Fresh bandages wrapped Yoongi's arms and knuckles, his black hair wet from a bath, and his eyes were closed, a loose robe covering his form, his exhausted breaths the only sound in the room. 

"What are you doing here?" He murmered. 

"I wanted to check upon you,"

"I'm perfectly fine,"

"Don't be so foolish, you're obviously not," In other cases, Jangmi would've felt shocked at her attempt at answering back to the monarch, but she had no time to dwell on it, instead, reaching for a towel and dipping it in the water jug, and placing it upon her husband's forehead.

"You're not supposed to be here," Yoongi's voice was growing fainter, authority barely dripping in his tone.

"I'm your wife," Jangmi said softly. "I will always be here whether you like it or not,"

The Empress continued to bustle around his room, clearing and storing away various papers to do with the kingdom, cutting up fresh bandages when they needed to be changed. 

As she was about to leave his chambers, his slender fingers grasped her small wrists.

"Stay," He croaked. 

"Stay with me for one night, please,"