44. Twisted Fate

Athena

You know the sinking feeling we all have had at least a dozen times in our life?

You can watch with your eyes how everything you earned or built up crumbling down to your feet. You can watch, and be absolutely helpless. The feeling of your heart slowly draining its faith and hope is the infamous sinking feeling.

It was the most terrible feeling ever.

I smiled scornfully as I pressed the phone against my ear. I knew my heart was sinking, all the way down to hell. I knew this would happen, I knew I would break under my husband's cold attitude.

But I didn't know he would be so fed up to just give up on us.

Ace was anything but a quitter. Maybe he could never even think about a future of us together. Maybe he couldn't cope with his fears and me.

His family...that was just bad. I needed five full days to deal with people being killed who I saw in a 2-minute video.

Imagine Ace's pain, who grew up with them for 2 decades.

"Eva is here, with Alan." Shane's voice rung in through the other end.

It's been five days since that horrible letter reveal. I was at my house, away from my parents and away from Ace. I noticed a few changes in me, like loss of appetite or being sensitive to every small misfortune happening around me.

I knew I was unstable, and that, to me, was a good sign.

And thinking instability is a good sign meant I was crazy.

I sighed lowly. "Did he eat breakfast?" I asked, totally off-topic of what he was saying but Shane didn't seem to mind.

"I had to make him eat but he is good. After two glasses of chocolate shake." I smiled subconsciously.

Him and his chocolate shakes.

"I will be there in half an hour." I informed him, tiredly getting up from the bed. "See you at the court hall." He muttered the same back before I hung up.

I was shit.

Yep. Thanks a lot, Ace.

I rolled my eyes feeling the tears down my face. This was me now, I was vulnerable but at the same time, I hated that I was vulnerable.

I found myself multiple times crying, then scolding myself for crying and then crying again.

What I never understood was, why did Ace send me a divorce paper? He is going against Eva and Alan but he is going against me too? What, he wants to be alone?

Taking a deep breath I walked into the bathroom. After wearing the dress I picked up ages ago I was in front of the city court at the promised time.

I didn't know why I looked up at the bright, cloudless sky and uttered a small prayer. I wasn't that of a believer, but maybe this was what desperation does to you. 

I can't hold his hand to comfort him anymore, at least the man above can try.

I walked forward, climbing the polished steps of the court. I saw Shane waiting for me at the end of the stairs. 

The days could have been better to him too. He looked disheveled and even a bit tired, a little shaggy in his oversized jacket and not recently uncut hair. 

Ace is making it hard for him, was the only thought that entered my mind.

"He is here." Shane uttered, leading me inside from the frosty cold after studying my face for a few moments.