Chapter 32

The Dean pushed back his black-rimmed glasses and said with a sinister smile, "This is just a small punishment for you. You better watch your tongue later."

After speaking, he turned to the speechless Zhao Qiang by his side and smiled gently. "You're much better than her. If you're obedient to the Dean later, this Dean will like you very much."

Zhao Qiang nodded his head and watched the Dean leave the room. The door 'clanged' shut. As if a pressure had been released, the boy suddenly broke out in tears and cried loudly. After wailing for a while, his voice eventually trailed off, and he soon remembered Lin Xin who was lying on the ground.

He nudged her gently with his foot and murmured weakly, "L- Lin Xin, Lin Xin...you wake up, please wake up..."

He shouted her name for a while, but the girl remained lying on the floor without response.

Zhao Qiang suddenly though, 'Is she dead?!'

He bent down and put his ear next to Lin Xin's nose. Feeling her faint breath, he gave a deep sigh of relief before laying flat on the ground while breathing heavily.

A breeze blew through a narrow window, bringing with it a whistling sound similar to a person's wailing, as if to whisper its misfortunes within the wind.

Zhao Qiang felt even more afraid in his heart. The Dean made him realize what a 'human face with a heart of a beast' was truly like. His current surroundings made him feel as if he could die at any time. He couldn't bear to stay here anymore; he wanted to leave this frightening place as soon as possible.

He called out to Lin Xin two more times, before she finally showed some reaction. The girl grimaced and coughed twice, then slowly opened her eyes.

When Zhao Qiang saw her regain consciousness, he shouted excitedly, "You woke up, you're still alive, still alive!" Knowing that she still lived was his greatest comfort.

Lin Xin felt as if she was aching all over her body. The pain pierced to the bone, leaving her no place for peace. She focused her gaze on the child before and gave him a reassuring smile. She had no idea that in his eyes, her purple, swollen face looked more terrible.

Zhao Qiang didn't dare to look at her appearance. He lowered his head and said, "Let's escape and get out of here."

'Yes! Let's escape from here!' Lin Xin's drowsy mind seemed to clear up. In fact, the solution was very simple: all they had to do was leave this place and take off to the outside world.

Thinking of this, Lin Xin's pain seemed to lessen. She quickly sat up and said, "Let's untie the ropes."

This time, Zhao Qiang was very cooperative. Lin Xin used her teeth to untie the boy's ropes, and he coordinated by twisting his wrists to loosen the knot. Although two blood marks trickled down his skin, the boy did his best to ignore them. After the pair of children were freed from their constraints, Lin Xin pulled out a black hairpin from her head and handed it over to Zhao Qiang to help unlock the cell door.

It was midnight at this time. Since everyone else was asleep, the pair's trip to the orphanage gate went by smoothly. The gate was secured with a large lock. Zhao Qiang once again used his proficiency with his unlocking skills and opened the door without any noise.

The moonlight was clear like water, and the stars were faintly visible. The Big Dipper in the sky seemed to point the way like a compass.

Zhao Qiang pushed the door slightly open, revealing a small gap. As long as he took this step, he could venture out into the outside world. Although Lin Xin wasn't interested in the world outside, she could at least stay away from all the filth in this orphanage. It's just that the frail boy will be left all alone here.

Lin Xin looked back at the direction where Lin Xinyu resided. His beautiful eyes and his pleading look when he handed her the gifts he received from the Dean lingered in her mind.

There would always be a few wicked people in the world who would commit crime without a reason, and there were those in the world who could treat you kindly; but someone who would treat you well without a reason or without asking for anything in return was even more difficult to find.

And Lin Xinyu was that kind of person.