Chapter 37

However, knowing that his presence bothered her caused him to feel shame. He lowered his head and decided to distance himself so she wouldn't resent him.

Seeing that the boy didn't speak, Lin Xin knew that he would leave in low spirits. Who knew that when he started to walk away, he suddenly turned around, looked up into her eyes and said, "Did you think I could leave you so far away?"

The young boy's heart was as pure and clear as crystal, radiating a dazzling light in this dark and filthy world.

How could she not feel guilty?

Lin Xin restrained her inner impulse to comfort him. Instead, she raised her head slightly, looked up at Lin Xinyu with disdainful eyes and calmly said, "Not only do you bring me trouble, you're also the reason I got hurt. Don't you know why the Dean beat me?" She lifted her sleeves to expose her bruised, black and blue arms underneath the sunlight. "It's all because of you that I got hurt. Do you think this can be solved just by you keeping a distance?"

At this point, Lin Xinyu could no longer deceive himself and avoid the issue. He actually understood her situation but he didn't want to admit. She suffered because of him, but he was still trying to come up with an excuse to be close to her. He tried to convince himself that she needed him, but in the end, doing so would only put her in greater danger.

Lin Xinyu turned pale. He backed away two steps and accidentally bumped into someone behind him. When he looked behind, it turned out to be the Dean.

The man patted his head and asked, "What's wrong? It's alright."

Lin Xinyu shook his head and tugged the Dean's coat before saying, "My head hurts, is it okay if I take some medicine?"

The Dean said in a shaky voice, "You come with me and get medicine," He took Lin Xinyu to his office and forgot all about Lin Xin.

Lin Xin's clenched fist finally loosened. She knew that the Dean had been watching her from some dark place, and as expected, he came out after hearing her say those hurtful words. This was his hypocritical act of comforting the boy so he could present himself as a 'good man.'

Lin Xin couldn't afford to be weighed down with sadness. Her most important goal right now was to recover her health. She ate the apple Lin Xinyu gave and walked around the courtyard two more times before returning to her room. After taking her fever medicine, she soon felt drowsy.

After sleeping for a whole night, she didn't feel as bad as she did the day before, but she still felt heavily drowsy. Even after a good night's sleep, she still wanted to fall back into bed. At this point, Lin Xin felt that something didn't seem right. Based on her previous experiences when getting sick, even if her physical condition didn't improve completely after several days of rest, her mind should at least be clear. But right now, she felt just the opposite.

Is something wrong? Could the problem lie with the medicine?

Lin Xin suspected that it was due to the anti-inflammatory medicine that she took orally once a day. When someone delivered it to her this time, she secretly hid the pill. After a day had passed without taking it, she felt much more awake. 'This must have been ordered by the Dean.'

Lin Xin hid the medicine and continued to pretend to sleep all day since she was afraid that her enemy might suspect that she was simply pretending. Afterwards, the Dean came to check up on her a couple of times and saw that she continued to lay in bed. He also ordered his men to give her more food to show his concern.

Lin Xinyu didn't come to visit her or give her any food during those times when she was resigned to her bed. A few days later, the Dean saw that she turned pale and even bled. He finally lowered his vigilance as he thought to himself, 'A child is simply a child. Even if one tries to fight back, an adult would still know better. How could a child possibly win against an adult?

And Lin Xinyu hasn't been following her *ss for a while now. Then I'll just let her be. Anyways, it's not like she'll be able to live any longer for the next few days.'