Chapter 49

The Young Master tried to convince his mother saying, "Mom, even if you can't adopt her, you can still take her with you. Every dog knows how to wag its tail and beg for mercy, not to mention human beings. The most cost-effective business is to offer kindness in exchange for loyalty.

Knowing that her son had his own firm opinions since childhood, the mistress didn't object to his choice. At this time, the sky had darkened considerably. The lady thought that heading back this late wasn't a good idea so she informed her son before going to Lin Bo to discuss the situation.

After his mother left, the teenager turned to Lin Xinyu who had been standing by the door and asked, "Why are you still here?"

The boy replied, "How is Lin Xin?"

The young master answered, "My mother said she fell asleep. She won't wake up until tomorrow morning."

Lin Xinyu said, "Then I'll go in and watch after her." Before the teenager could reply, the boy opened the door and hurriedly entered.

When Lin Xinyu saw the girl lay quietly in bed, his heart felt more reassured. As he came to her bedside, he was able to notice the slightly raised corners of her lips. She seemed to be having a good dream. The boy's heart was weighed with sour pain, making him want to shed tears for her sake, but knowing that the teenager who was going to adopt the girl was standing behind him prompted Lin Xinyu to hide his emotions. He choked back his tears and held his breath to make sure he wouldn't accidentally wake her up. As he pulled the blanket to cover her, he inadvertently touched her wrist and revealed the girl's tender skin underneath, which was scarred with a pink hickey.

The Dean promised him that he would stop beating Lin Xin and that he would feed her every day. Lin Xinyu believed in the man's words, but who knew that this would be the result. He was cheated and lied to all this time. 'I'm so naive.' When he recalled Lin Xin's former self-confident and fearless eyes, the boy felt as if his heart was pierced by a knife. He could only clench his fists and withstand the pain in his heart as he gasped in difficulty.

Soon, the pain had subsided, and he realized that it didn't hurt as much as he had imagined. He didn't die; he was still alive. It turns out that all his pain would eventually disappear as long as he firmly endured it. Lin Xinyu pulled the blanket up to cover the girl's shoulders, then swept away the hair on her cheeks to reveal her delicate chin. The girl had a young face, a small mouth, a flat nose, and thin eyebrows. She clearly looked like a child but she always acted like an adult while holding up her fist, saying, "If others hit you, you go and hit them back."

If he had fought back like she had told him before, the girl wouldn't be lying helplessly here today. Cowardice and tolerance will only cause more harm to those dear to him, leaving them to be trodden down.

Lin Xinyu gently swept aside the girl's hair and observed her quietly to wait for her to awaken. He wants to become the strongest person in the world. No matter how she appears when she wakes up, he will stand by her side and protect her from all those who try to harm her.

When the young master entered the room, he saw Lin Xinyu sitting at the bedside while watching the girl intently. He could see that the young boy's eyes overflowed with gentleness and affection, creating a quiet scene that appeared like a painting. It was as if the boy was the painter, and nothing else in the whole world mattered to him. At this time, an uncontrollable emotion rose up within Xiao Tian, urging him to step forward and destroy this painting.

Unexpectedly, the girl lying in bed slowly opened her eyes and rested her gaze on Lin Xinyu. She looked up with a wide smile, simple and innocent, like a roadside daily that was sprinkled by the rain, revealing crystal droplets that greeted the rising sun.

Lin Xinyu was stunned. The Lin Xin he knew was someone who would gaze at him coldly, saying she didn't like him while urging him to keep a distance. She never smiled as happily as she did now. It was as if she had completely changed.