Chapter 76

Lin Xinyu had gotten up a long time ago and was hiding in the bathroom, washing his underwear, when Lin Xin walked in with misty eyes.

Seeing him squatting on the floor, she asked, "Ai, what are you doing in the bathroom this early?"

Lin Xinyu was so scared that he dropped his underwear in the basin. He lowered his head and whispered, "Nothing, nothing."

Lin Xin thought, Did he get scared and uncomfortable after Zhao Qiang mentioned the dean yesterday?

She could not help but feel her heart ache. She bent down to pat his head, "If it's nothing much, quickly wash up before going to school."

As she crouched down beside him, Lin Xinyu smelled her scent again. Recalling his dream from last night, his face instantly reddened. He dragged the basin towards himself and stayed at least a foot away from Lin Xin.

Lowering his head, he said, "I'm fine. I'm done washing up."

Lin Xin felt that Lin Xinyu was acting weird today. Usually, he would want to stick close to her once he saw her, but today, he obviously kept her at a distance. Thinking of that white shirt incident a few years ago, she did not dare to be careless, yet she had no idea how to ask him.

She thought for a moment and cautiously asked, "Did Zhao Qiang talking about the dean yesterday upset you?"

This question came unexpectedly for Lin Xinyu. He raised his head, answering, "No."

Lin Xin was relieved he didn't seem flustered. If there weren't any problems, then she had nothing to worry about.

Lin Xin stood and picked up her toothbrush. She poured a glass of water and started brushing her teeth. Afterward, she asked, "Why did you change your underwear without even a bath?"

Lin Xinyu's eyes flashed and he answered, "I wanted to change into it, so I did."

Fine, it's not a crime to change into new underwear without taking a shower.

Lin Xin stopped prodding for answers, brushed her teeth, then washed her face. After she had put her towel down, she said, "Hurry up. We skipped school yesterday so we definitely have to go to school early today."

Lin Xinyu nodded and put down the basin he used to wash his underwear, before following Lin Xin out of the bathroom.

As usual, Cheng Qingrong was sending them to school before going to work.

Once outside the house, beyond Aunt Hui's earshot, Cheng Qingrong began lecturing as he drove.

"Xin don't get into conflict with the teachers at school. Also, I've already called your homeroom teacher and told him that you had a terrible stomachache yesterday. Xiaoyu was worried so he followed after you to the hospital. That's the excuse I told him for why you two skipped class yesterday. Here are the medical card and certificate. Give these to your homeroom teacher."

Lin Xin checked the medical card and found the diagnosis to be 'gastroenteritis'. As Cheng Qingrong was not paying attention, Lin Xin secretly nudged Lin Xinyu and asked, "What did you tell him last night?"

Lin Xin's touch brought back memories of his dream last night. His entire body reeled. He did not dare sit too close to Lin Xin.

"Oh, ah, yesterday, yesterday, I told him that you took me to the hospital because you had a stomach ache, and it turned out you had your monthly period." When he said the word 'period', he paused.

Over the years, he had read a few anatomy books, so he was aware of the female's monthly period. He used to think of it as a physiological word, but now, he found it awkward to even say it.

The female body used to be a mystery for him, so he had asked Lin Xin about it before, and she explained it all to him without any hesitation.

The former Lin Xinyu thought that 'period' was just an idea, without any representation. His past self wasn't embarrassed to ask about this back then. But now...

Lin Xinyu's words were reasonable. In fact, he gave the perfect alibi. Lin Xin could imagine how Lin Xinyu looked when he said it.

No matter what you say, Lin Xinyu would listen patiently until it was time for him to talk. Then, he would deliver his excuse in a calm and sincere manner, enough for people to believe him one hundred percent.

He had done this quite a few times in the past few years. He did it when Lin Xin skipped classes to do sales, and when she worked part-time as a translator at an internet café all night. Every time she came back home, Cheng Qingrong would nag at her, but Lin Xinyu would always make up a flurry of excuses just to smooth things out for her. With the way he talked, Cheng Qingrong believed even his most illogical excuses.

Many years later, Lin Xin would realize that the world values good looks over character and delightful lies over truth.

Lin Xin patted his shoulder. She was 15 years old and still hadn't had her period. There were no significant changes in her body, that she could be mistaken for a twelve-year-old schoolboy when dressing in her loose uniform.

Lin Xin was vaguely worried that she wouldn't grow, that she would stay in this twelve year old body.

The original owner of this body died at twelve. Could it be related to why she didn't seem to grow up?

Lin Xin thought about it and didn't realize that Lin Xinyu's body was stiff every time he moved closer to her. When she turned around, Lin Xinyu reverted back to his usual calm.

She dotingly touched his hair and rubbed his face as she thought, Don't think too much about it. Just look at how good Lin Xinyu is. Except for his heart, everything about him turned out well.

This person grew up to 1.8 meters. And although taking down seven or eight people at once might be beyond his abilities, he could face two to three in a fight, no problem. He had a bright and beautiful smile, was extremely well-behaved, and always gentle and amiable to others.

In this respect, they both turned out to be very good children.

She was relieved with this thought. That's enough.

As Lin Xin touched him, Lin Xinyu's body stiffened. He didn't dare move one bit and let her touch him as she pleased. Then, he cowered at a distance like a mouse seeing a cat.