Chapter 1〢Dîner

Kiera

8:21

I got a text from my mom:

Hurry up, we're leaving in 20.
And please dress nicely
No jeans or pregnant lady-size clothing.
I'm slightly offended because baggy clothing is great, not everyone likes wearing the same pencil skirt and white blouse about 50 times a week.
And they're very fashionable.
Oui maman, I replied.
_

The dinner party was at the Roches; the current wealthiest family in-state. My parents have been very close with them even before they had kids, working in France together. Their work, the damned reason we had to move in the first place. I don't know many details about their jobs as they barely ever speak of what they do, except for times when they gloat about it saying they 'Have always been the best at it' and that my brother and I should 'Always strive for greatness' like they have. For all I know they could be thieves, drug dealers even.

I took a final glance in the mirror to make sure I looked presentable enough; that every strand of my hair was even at mid-back length, thoroughly brushed and not a single one out of place. That my black jumpsuit sat nicely on my body, meticulously lint-rolled and fully opaque with its belt wrapped perfectly so it hugged my waistline as a second skin. And that my sparkling gold heels were especially clean, leaving not a speck of dust concealing their shine. Standards are very high in this household.

Following a deep breath and a tiny, ritual mental prep-talk, I closed my door and made my way downstairs. Nicolas, my brother, stood by the main entrance propping the door open. Shit, they must have been waiting for me,"Ki, what the hell took you so long?" He questioned, frustrated. His brows furrowed so deeply into his face. "I honestly don't know, I didn't think I took that much time."

Truth: ¾ told

"Fine...just be quiet when you get in there." He stared at me so hard with such a worried look on his face, it felt like he bulldozed right through my soul, weighing my heart down. Nic has always looked after me ever since I was a child and especially now he finds it important to do so as our parents get a little more...aggressive with us now.

I nodded, brushed past him then staggered 20 metres to the family Bentley in my 3-inch heels with Nic, who trailed along closely behind me. I heard the car door unlock and made my way in, panting quietly while my brother entered through the other side, expressionless, like he could sense what was coming.

"Kiera, j'espère que tu as une bonne raison pour être en retard, mademoiselle?" Kiera, I hope you have a good excuse for your lateness, miss?

I froze. It was my mother. 

"Je suis desole-" I am very sorry-

"Non, c'est moi qui est désolé pour toi, attend pour nous de rentrer a la maison après ça." Her words pierced through my heart. Not again. Not again. Not again. No. 

No, I'm the one who is sorry for you, wait for us to return home after this.

"Mais-" I couldn't even start pleading for mercy before my father snapped at me. But- "Shute! Ta mere te parle." His anger dripped through his words. How and why is he this mad? Quiet! Your mother is talking to you!

My brother turned away from the window and as soon as I saw him open his mouth to speak, I looked down at my lap- is this boy suicidal?
"Papa laisse, elle ecoute-"Dad drop it, she's listening-

"Est-ce-que tu veux mourrir?" My father accompanied his threat with the most murderous look I've ever seen on a person's face. Do you want to die? "Pardon." He returned to his previous window-facing position, hiding his glossy eyes before I could see them. I saw them. And I could only do the same. He tried too hard for me and I feel so guilty.

My father glared at the driver ordering him to drive, visibly irritated. My mother was just as pissed off. Nic, so innocent was also left despondent.

And it was all my fault.

✳✳✳

The car drive was silent.
As expected.

-

We pulled up to the Roches' mansion. The car halted in front of their large entrance. Our vehicle looked like a toy piece compared to the enormousness of their home. I mean, our houses were of similar size but this, this was next level. The family was stood at the top of the welcome staircase, each member grinning brightly....all apart from one. She wasn't there.

My family exited the car then my parents practically strutted up the driveway while my brother and I marched gloomily behind them. We greeted the Roches and gave the usual kisses. The  change of atmosphere happened so quickly and all of a sudden my parents were the most joyous people in the world. You couldn't even suspect a thing. My mother's words from the car replayed in my head, Wait for us to return home after this

Soon enough, the Roches had escorted us to where we'd be having our meal and in the span of about 4 minutes we were seated, ready to begin the night. I thought back to the journey to the dining hall which fortunately, made me so glad I peed before leaving home as there was no way I'd find my way alone around here.

-

"So, mademoiselle et monsieur, how are the States treating you at the moment? It can be very difficult sometimes, right?" Francois Roche was a cheerful man at all times, only on one occasion have I ever seen him worked up and it wasn't a forgetful sight. His wife, Avryll Roche was a beautiful woman, she seemed patient and caring but every time I gazed into her eyes, I felt a longing behind them. A silent plead. Nonetheless, they were the types of couples who complimented each other's presence; and you could tell they had a sense of style. I nudged the side of my brother's foot, signalling him to answer the question first. "I-It's great here, New York is treating me well. I've settled in just fine and I'm glad I had an education in English." Short and simple. Short and simple. That was the best way to avoid any conflict with our parents. "Same here, I've a had a great experience so far." I smiled, then returned to having a staring contest with a plate, earning me a stern glare from my father. The bowl in front of me was filled with grim and grey onion soup, mirroring my emotions at that present moment. So nauseous.

Instantaneously, the door busted open. A loud thud filled the room.

'Ah, finalement, la princesse est arrivee!' All the adults laughed, their voices boomed off the walls of the hall. There, finally, the princess has arrived! I craned my neck and twisted round towards the entrance to see who it was they were sniggering about.

Cora.

She just waltzed into the room.

"Very funny", she chuckled sarcastically. She hasn't seemed to notice me yet, I'm good with that. Cora and I used to be enemies when we lived in Marseille, however I don't remember much about our relationship and I only have a vague memory of what it was. Those minor memories included us  treating ourselves as enemies, whereas in reality, I only pretended to hate Cora because I felt a way I shouldn't have about her. But maybe that won't matter anymore, 

Maybe she's changed.