Chapter 40 - Race

- Chapter 40 - Cornered by the Delanceys -
Warnings: Injuries, beating up, abuse, memories, crying, blood
Third Person POV

Race was walking down the halls of his school, to his locker.

He had stayed after school for a department night. He was struggling in English and she was helping him.

The school was empty, which Race was fine with. The only people who were there was his English teacher, him, and a few other teachers that either paid him no mind or told him to hurry up and that the school was closing soon.

Race had a bit of a headache and just wanted to lay down.

Race opens his locker, pulling out his backpack and putting his stuff into his backpack.

Notebook.

Folder.

Binder.

Pencil, Race lists off as he puts them into the back. And book.

Race zips the bag closed, before grabbing his flannel out of the locker and tying it around his waist.

Race closes up his locker and puts his backpack on, before starting to walk down the halls again.

Race turns a corner, only to bump into something.

The force knocked Race backwards, onto his bottom.

Race cringes in pain, looking up.

The Delanceys stood in front of him, smirking down at him.

Race's eyes widen.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?" Oscar starts, walking behind Race.

Race tries to quickly get up.

Oscar kicks him back to the floor.

Race cries out in pain as he lands against the floor.

"A little Newsie, alone? Afraid? Powerless?" Morris questions, the smirk on his face making Race feel really uncomfortable.

"I'm not afraid." Race tells him, staring up at him. "I just had department night, I'll be out of your way in a few minutes." He says. "Just left me go."

Morris smirks. "Nah, I don't think so." He responds. "I think we just found our new plaything, huh, Oscar?" He looks over at the slightly younger boy.

Oscar pulls Race's bag off of his back, quickly opening it and rummaging through it.

"Hey!" Race exclaims. "You can't do that!" He reaches up to try to grab it from him.

Morris kicks him back onto his back, bending down in front of him.

Race stares at him, his eyes wide.

Morris smirks, grabbing a fistful of Race's hair and banging it into the lockers behind him. "We can do whatever we want." He states.

Race cries out in pain. He felt heat rush to his head, a warm liquid dripping down the side of his face.

A memory popped up in his mind.

"Please!" Nine-year-old Antonio Higgins screams, on his knees with his hands folded in front of him. "You can't do this!" He exclaims. "Please!" He begs.

His father shoves him into the ice-filled bath.

Antonio screams when his head hits the wall and he lands in the frigid waters, his clothes almost immediately freezing to his body.

"I can do whatever I want." George Higgins states, grabbing Race's hair and forcing him under the water.

Race's protests were cut off when his head went under.

It was freezing.

It hurt.

Race's eyes shot open.

Morris was looking at Oscar, a scowl on his face.

"He has nothing in here other than school supplies." Oscar informs his brother. "And an old phone that I assume one of the boys gave to him," he holds up the phone.

Morris looks back at Race. "You really are useless, huh?" He asks him.

"Yes," the blonde-haired boy squeaks. "Which is why you should let me go." He whispers, his eyes squeezed shut.

He had learned to degrade himself. It was what usually made his father's punishments lighter, or sometimes worse to show him how useless he was, but it usually worked to his advantage.

Morris chuckles darkly. "Smart, but not smart enough." He states.

The next thing Race felt was a sharp pain on his mouth.

A whimper escapes Race's lips as he keeps his mouth shut, trying to reach up to touch it.

Oscar kicks his hand down, stepping on it.

Tears stream down Race's bruised cheeks.

Race tries to kick Morris off of him, but he just got a punch to the guy in response, causing him to cry out in pain.

He gave up on fighting back after that.

It was no use. He knew that. They were stronger than him, just like his father.

Out of nowhere, Race heard feet pounding.

Oscar and Morris look up.

Race heard Oscar shout in pain and a thud.

"Hey!" Morris shouts, his voice angry as he stand up suddenly.

Race let's his head fall, slumping to the ground and closing his eyes.

He heard fighting.

"Get away from him!"

"Get out of here!"

"Let me go!"

Race heard shouts in pain and he heard cries.

"Why'd you touch him?!"

"Because all you Newsies are worthless and need to be taught your place!"

"We aren't worthless! We just have it harder than everyone else, Morris!"

"You are worthless! You are all nothing and don't deserve to be here!"

Race heard one last shout in pain, before he heard people running away.

Race tries to push himself up, whimpering in pain as he sits up again. He slowly opens his eyes, seeing a figure sitting in front of him.

"Race," they start, sounding panicked. They reach over.

Race's hands shoot up, him cringing in pain as he tries to protect himself.

The figure stops immediately. "Racer, it's Albert." They tell him.

Race looks up at him, slowly lowering his hands. "I'm sorry." He whispers, tears streaming down his cheeks as he starts falling towards the redheaded boy.

Albert quickly catches Race, cradling him against his chest. He touches Race's head lightly, pulling away when a cry escapes his lips. "You're bleeding..." Albert whispers, looking up at Spot.

Spot quickly picks Race up, helping Albert get up.

He cradled Race against his chest as they started running in the direction of Medda's.

1016 Words
Sorry I haven't posted in forever lol. I swear I am trying. Also sorry that this is so angsty.