|124|

My chest rose and fell as I continued running, my mind going on autopilot as I continued pushing forward. I had managed to shake off the horde long ago, leaving them about two miles back, but I can't stop and assume I'm safe. I don't know how much time has passed since I left Magna, Yumiko, Kelly, and Connie, but I have to believe that they made it back to the Hilltop safely. The birds chirped overhead, and the leaves crunched under my boots as I ran by, the area devoid of any other life around me. Risking it, I stopped and lifted my arms above my head, my hands interlocking behind my head as I sucked deep breaths. I'm not tired physically, but my breathing is suffering with all the bursts of sprints. I drank in the air greedily, taking in deep, gasping breaths.

I observed my surroundings, recognizing the different landmarks all around me. Deciding to keep pushing, I started walking, my eyes never resting as I continued to canvas the area around me. My arms lowered, and my hands circled the grip of my sword, my guard never dropping as I made my way through the familiar area. There's no way the horde could still be following me, right? I outran them a long time ago, and if there were those whisperer freaks in the horde, then that means I shook them off as well... right? I can't assume I'm safe, and I'm definitely not going to stick around. I sucked in another breath and started to jog slowly despite my screaming sides.

Even if they catch up to me, that might take a while. I patted the back pocket of my jeans and nodded, deciding to take one last risk before running home. I can always send word later that I made it home so I won't worry Tara and Daryl, but I have one more stop to make. Alden and Luke are out here somewhere, but after seeing that horde a few miles back, I can't risk continuing my search for them—not alone. Now that I know that there are weirdos out there with masks pretending to be walkers, I'm going to have to impose sanctions back at home. No one can come out here unless they're in groups. My kids definitely aren't allowed to come outside anymore—not until we solve this problem.

Ugh, I just know Thad will have a problem with it. He's becoming more independent, and I've started talking to him about letting him come out with a large group occasionally, but with these whisperers... That's one argument I don't want to have. Judith might have a problem with it, but she's more level-headed than her little brother. Even though I know the headache that little boy will give me, I can't wait to get home.

I continued trekking through the woods, continuing my ongoing canvas of the area with each step I took. There hasn't been a walker in sight for the past hour. Do these people herd every walker within a thirty-mile radius or something? And how do they maintain a herd? I've assumed with the whispers to continue drawing them in and piquing their undead interests. They have the masks, so they're protected unless they scream. Whatever the case, I can't remain fascinated with them. They're the enemy, and we have to get rid of them for our communities and my children's safety. The trees started to disperse, revealing the large, damaged structure I'd come to see as a memorial site.

The edges were still blackened, and if you really focused, you could still smell the smoke that was deeply embedded in the concrete. The rushing water underneath the bridge reverberated off the concrete, almost deafening me. It's strange how this place that once haunted me now serves as a memorial of sorts. When it first happened... I couldn't come here without going crazy looking for signs that he might still be out there somewhere. But logic started winning me over as the days turned into weeks and the weeks into months. It was a hard battle between the logical side of my brain and the side that still held onto that hope, but logic eventually prevailed.

I just wish that Daryl healed alongside me. I know it was as hard on him as it was on me. He lost his friend—his brother. His hurt manifested in the form of him constantly going out and searching for a ghost. Daryl picked up the slack as it became harder and harder for me to come out here to search and follow the river. While I slowly healed and came to terms with Rick's death, Daryl kept the false hope that he was out here. Then he met Leah... I thought she was perfect for him despite never officially meeting her. I always bugged him to let me get to know her—to bring the kids so they could see their uncle happy, but he always said no. Then, one day, he said that she was gone. I wonder if she's still out here somewhere? If she is, does she wish she never left him?