第6章 - Best Friends

A/N: Japanese school years start in April and end in March! Also, all physical appearances are based off of the manga, not the anime! A naginata is a polearm/spear weapon.

Hiyori hummed a soft tune while reading her book. Her violet-blue eyes scanned the words with interest while waiting for her classmates to arrive. It was her first day of school. Ever.

She wondered if her classmates would like her. Her adoptive father had filled her in on each of her new classmates' basic information.

Speaking of Satoru, he had gone out of his way to prepare a celebration - a far too extravagant dinner with Shoko and Nanami - for Hiyori's first day of school last night. Now, he was suffering the repercussions of eating so many desserts last night.

She heard the wooden classroom door slide open and looked up from her book to see a platinum blond boy. He stared at her with his chocolate-brown eyes. Hiyori waved.

"Konbu" Toge raised his hand in greeting.

'This must be the Inumaki-kun that Toru mentioned...'

'Inumaki Toge. He has the Inumaki family's inherited cursed speech technique. In order to avoid accidentally using his technique on someone, he speaks in rice ball ingredients, which makes it hard to understand what he's saying sometimes but that won't be a problem for you.' was what Satoru had told her.

"Hi, nice to meet you. My name is Tsukuyo Hiyori. You must be the cursed speech user that Toru told me about." Hiyori got up from her seat and tilted her head down in a bow. Toge returned the bow.

"And this is Tsuki. She's my familiar" Hiyori said, gesturing to her familiar who was fast asleep on her desk.

"Shake" Toge replied.

"Oh, you can just talk to me normally. Your cursed speech doesn't affect me" Hiyori said reassuringly. Toge looked at her hesitantly but opened his mouth to speak.

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Inumaki Toge. Are we allowed to sit anywhere or are there assigned seats?" Toge's eyes widened at the verb that he had unintentionally used.

"Yea, sit where ever" Hiyori responded, not even fazed. Toge stared at her in complete shock. Hiyori had to bite her tongue to stop the amused smile threatening to form on her face.

"I'm immune to cursed techniques so feel free to talk to me freely" She explained with a thumbs up. Toge's eyes lit up. This was the first time he had ever met someone he could actually talk to normally without accidentally cursing since his cursed technique awakened. He grinned under the collar of the turtleneck he wore at the realization. He felt all giddy inside, slightly bouncing up and down from the happiness swelling in him.