004. repercussions

╔ ——————————————— ╗。・:*:・゚CHAPTER FOUR 。・:*:・゚"repercussions"╚ ——————————————— ╝

╔ ——————————————— ╗
。・:*:・゚CHAPTER FOUR 。・:*:・゚
"repercussions"
╚ ——————————————— ╝

SPOILER ALERT: that was not good news. 

Gray pinched the bridge of his nose, his hair falling messily in front of his eyes as he tried to calm his rapidly beating heart. He wasn't one to get truly scared easily. Anxious - sure, that was pretty much a regular emotion, but scared? Now that was a whole other ballpark. 

 He wasn't afraid of dying. His entire life had been built on a foundation made of death and destruction. The prospect of ceasing to exist, of having your soul ascend from your body, wasn't exactly all bad. Maybe it would mean that Gray would actually have a chance to catch his breath for once. The thing that scared him to the point of hysteria was the idea of living in a world without people he loved. 

 He didn't have many people in his life to love. His parents were silhouettes in the back of his head, and as far as he was concerned he had never had any real friends his own age. But Tony Stark? That was a different story. Tony Stark allowed Gray to become something more than a genetically modified weapon. He kept him safe, and he taught him how to be whatever he wanted. Tony Stark may not be his father, but he was sure as hell the closest thing the Moreno boy ever had to a family. 

 "You good?" The man himself spoke, standing in front of the boy and putting a gentle hand on his shoulder. Gray nodded. 

 "I'm fine. I'm fantastic." 

"Good, so am I." Tony squared his shoulders, although his eyes were soft as he looked at Gray. "Hey," he began, his voice holding an edge of sincerity that was rare to see on the Stark man. "It's gonna be okay." 

 "One in fourteen-million," he chuckled, although there was no humor in his tone. "I should have stayed in the cafe, huh?" 

 "But then you wouldn't be with me," Tony reminded, gently hitting his shoulder, an easy-going smile on his face. "And I wouldn't have gotten to ask you something." 

 "Shoot," Gray ran a hand through his hair, shutting his eyes for a moment. "Whatever it is can't be worse than this." 

 "I need you... to babysit Parker." 

 "I'm sorry, you need me to what?" 

 "Just if something happens to me," the man added hurriedly, putting a hand on his chest. At the look he recieved from the boy, he sighed deeply. "Look, we're going worst-case scenario. If anything really shitty happens, I want you to make sure to keep him alive. He's a good kid, he's just..." he bit his lip, "he needs some reminding of it sometimes." 

 "Deal," Gray held out his hand, "I'll make sure Peter doesn't fuck anything up, you just stay alive." 

 A ghost of a smile dusted over Tony's face as he shook the boy's hand. "I'm proud of you." He said. The words were simple, but they made a warm feeling spread throughout Gray's chest, a smile tugging at his lips.