.025

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

"You'll be better soon," Emmie said with a smile as she moved to the edge of her stool beside Carl's bed. Her short legs dangled in the air, unable to touch the ground. She gulped back any other words, not quite knowing what else to say as she watched her friend lay in the bed, a white bandage wrapped tightly around his torso. It shown brightly over his pale skin. Emmie dared not say it, but she saw the ghostly color of his skin once she entered the room. His features protruded sharply through the sheet of whiteness that took away all his color.

Carl grinned meekly in return. Emmie extended the present that she had been hiding behind her back since she had entered the room just a moment ago. Plenty of thought had been poured in to the gifting of such a thing that she has a slight feeling he would like it. "I brought this for you. Now you'll have something to do until you get better!"

Carl wrapped his hands around the thin comic book being offered his way. Water had gotten onto the title page and caused the ink to run slightly, making the words look a bit muddled, but he didn't mind as he tore open the cover and began to flit through the pages. "Thanks," he laughed, his gravely voice coming out as a cough, as he began to read. Emmie beamed with pride as she watched his excitement.

"She's a good kid," Rick whispered to Cole in the doorway, the two of them having been watching for the past few moments as the kids conversed back and forth. Cole couldn't help but wish Hilary were there to bask in the success of a compliment like that.

"So is Carl," Cole returned. "He's a tough one, too." Rick turned, his icy eyes looking into Cole's.

"Emmie has that spirit, too. She'll go far in life." Cole pondered that for a moment, wondering how far someone could actually go in this world, where everyday was a fight on it's own. She wouldn't have a job or get to graduate high school. College wasn't an option, if she would want to go, and there were only so many people you could make connections with since it seemed as though most of the population was deceased.

How far could she really go?

"I was thinking of taking a walk if you'd like to join," Cole spoke, returning his gaze to the two children in the room.

Rick paused for a moment before nodding. "That'd be good." Solitude was needed, but oddly enough, was hard to come by anymore. Without an addition word from either of the two, the pair backed out of the doorway, floating away like shadows that hadn't even been there to begin with.

Lori was sitting on a chair in the living room and was behaving the calmest she had been in days. Nobody uttered a word about it around the house. There wasn't anything to say about it. Everyone knew the mother had her head well on her shoulders, considering as much stress as she'd been put through. She rolled her ring on and off of her ring finger as she sat in place, her stare into space only broken when the duo walked from the room nearby.