Chapter 45: The last goodbye

(TWO WEEKS LATER)

Natasha got out of her car and slowly made her way across the cemetery, taking in the scents of the nature that was all around her. She walked towards the back and sat down at the now-familiar gravestone.

It had been two weeks since Mara died and Natasha was a wreck, to say the least. She kept blaming herself for the way things ended and how she messed up her one chance at true love.

They made sure to hold a small funeral with her closest friends, which were the Avengers. Natasha could not stop crying, let alone say a few words about her love.

In the beginning, she was in a stage of denial. Unable to comprehend that her girlfriend was dead. She thought they would grow old together and live in a cottage with a dog. Now, that dream was just that, a dream.

After a week, Natasha was able to leave the compound to go on short walks. She felt empty and did not have any motivation left to do anything. Steve and Wanda tried to get her to work out with them and to make sure she was eating, but it was very difficult.

Natasha sighed as she placed a fresh bouquet of tulips on Mara’s grave. It was an homage to her heritage and Mara loved the flowers.

“Hi baby.” Natasha started. She always spoke to her grave as if Mara was able to hear her.

“I have finally started feeling a bit better. And by that, I mean I’m not crying 24/7.” She said with a sad chuckle. She tried to shove away the constant hope that suddenly Mara would stand next to her again. She just wanted to hear a small chuckle in response or anything.

“I keep thinking about what you said before we left for the mission. What you meant when you told me you spoke to Whitehall and that you know what happened to your parents. I hope it gave you a sense of peace.”

Natasha knew that the only question Mara ever had was what happened to her parents. She just hoped Whitehall told Mara the truth so that she died knowing the answer.

“Things around the compound have been quiet without you there. Wanda is having a hard time as well, even though she won’t admit it. I might not be able to read minds, but even I know she’s not doing well.”

Wanda really did have a hard time with Mara’s death. She saw her as a big sister and the two shared a good bond with one another. But instead of mourning her death, Wanda focused on making sure Natasha would be okay.

“I’ll try to look after her like you did. I’ll try and be a big sister for her and make sure she is going to be alright. I know you would be worried about her if you were still here.”

Natasha started to tear up a little thinking about what she still wanted to tell you. “I know I should have talked to you before the mission started, or at least tell you how much I love you. You were my first and probably my last love. I will never take love for granted anymore and will always think about the short but beautiful time we had together. I hope you know how much I truly did love and appreciate you, despite your past with Hydra.”

Natasha looked at her watch and sighed, knowing she had to leave you once again.

“I have to go back to my family and help them with some things, but I will come back and tell you all about my adventures.” She spoke with a smile on her face.

“Goodbye my love. Until next time.” And with that, she placed a kiss on the gravestone and walked back to her car, giving one last glance towards the cemetery before driving off.

---------------------------------------------------------
A/N:
And that is the end of FROST!
(Or is it? 👀)

Thank you all so much for following along with my first story. It was a bit messy at times, but I hope y'all enjoyed it anyway. See you at the next one!