Chapter 55

Marlene was standing in the foyer, waiting for me. Once her eyes fell on me, she waved and I made my way through the crowd of ministry officials.

"Hi," I greeted.
"Hi," she grinned back. "Ready for that field trip?"
"Sure," I replied when we started to make our way to the classroom. "Where do you reckon we're going?"

Marlene shrugged. "Dunno. Maybe we'll watch a trial?"

"Uuh, you're right, that might be it."

"But whatever it is, I'm sure I'll prefer it over a day full of boring lessons and 'constant vigilance'."

I snorted. Marlene's Moody impression was improving rapidly.

We entered the classroom. "Oh no," I murmured when I saw Lina. So she was still part of the class.

"What?" Marlene followed my eyes. "Ugh," She groaned when she found her. "I was hoping she'd fail the test. We're like 5 people down, why couldn't she be one of them?"

I didn't reply, but definitely agreed. Just my luck, I suppose.

We made our way to our seats in the front.

"Honestly, it surprises me that they passed the tests. Didn't expect that, from Freya especially. I mean, look at her..."

I bit my lip and clenched my hands to fists. She did not.

"I hate her," Marlene muttered gloomily. "I hate her, I hate her. Please, let me punch her."

I didn't reply and looked straight ahead.
"Freya!" Marlene hissed. "Stop letting her trample all over you! We've gotta do something or this'll never stop!"

"Yeah," I murmured. "I'll think about it."

Marlene sighed and leant back on her chair. I knew that this wasn't the reply she'd wanted, but she knew that she wouldn't get me to say anything else.
"Whatever you say."

We were ingulfed in silence until Moody barged in. (And no, I didn't know why he kept doing that.)

"Get up, everyone. The portkey leaves in three minutes." I only realised then that he was holding a broom in his hand. (But a normal one for sweeping.)
"I hope all of you've brought warm clothes."

Marlene and I exchanged confused looks. It was summer. Had he completely lost it now?

"C'mon now, all of you, gather around!" Moody waved his hands up and down to make us hurry.

We all did as he'd instructed, getting up and holding on to small pieces of the broom's wood.

Then Moody looked at his watch. "Four, three, two, one-"

There was the godforsaken tug in my stomach and then my feet hit the ground again.

I immediately began to shiver at the coldness. I opened my eyes and saw that it was surprisingly dark and cloudy for the warm summer day that the weather witch had predicted.

"Oh my Merlin," Marlene muttered, and I tried my hardest to not look terrified.

I'd only heard of this place, but all descriptions fit perfectly. We were surrounded by water, standing on hard and sharp rocks with a massive grey building without any windows about twenty feet away from us.

We were in Azkaban.
The most feared place in the Wizarding World. The most dangerous wizards and witches of all time were (and had been) imprisoned here.

Holy shit. I'd never considered that if I was to become an Auror, I'd have to go there.
I gulped.
Terrible moment to remember that I wasn't able to cast a proper Patronus...
I shuddered when I saw the silhouettes of really tall, hooded creatures in front of the gates.