Chapter 1 -The Anniversary

I'm chasing after Ruby I can feel the sun on my shoulders she's laughing while running on the freshly cut grass of our backyard and suddenly she stops "what is it Ruby?" she turns around I almost die of a heart attack when I see half of her face is decayed and the other half is covered with the Grey, she says with her bloody lips "you left me"

I bolt awake gasping for air like I just ran a marathon with Olympians I feel a cold sweat run down my spine and I shiver at the sensation, Zira looks up from her side of the room.

"Are you okay?" she asks with a worried and a sleepy look on her face

"Yeah I'm okay its nothing" I do not want to ruin her sleep cause I cannot handle grumpy Zira tomorrow morning

She was quiet for a while than with a worried face she says "Okay Reece, you can wake me up if you want to talk, okay?"

I plaster a fake smile on my face knowing that she knows what happened because this isn't the first time this has happened "Okay I will"

With a sad smile on her face she turns around and starts to sleep again and I just stare at the fire trying to sleep but all I see when I close my eyes is the beautiful face of my Ruby covered with the Grey and with a tearful eyes looking at me with sadness and betrayal in her eyes

And as I think about with all the happy moments we had I fall into a dreamless deep slumber wishing it was me who was taken and not her

Zira woke me up with a small smile and I ever so lazily sit up instantly after I take a breath I smell the aroma of her soup and I instantly hate myself for existing she's a terrible cook I don't know if it's the ingredients but she doesn't make good food but I don't how to cook so here goes nothing

We were quiet while finishing our bowls of soup deep in our own thoughts there's nothing much to talk about when you're the only person your friend hangs around with all the time and I ask her about what's the plan for today

"So what are we going to do are we going to go out for food or are we going to continue exploring the residential are?" She looked up at me and started thinking and said "well we have enough food for a week or two and we can harvest some of the veggies in a week so we don't have any immediate need for food so exploring the residential area seems like a good idea"

As I stood up I said "Okay than I'll go clear our bags and you get the blades and the bat"

"Okey dokey" and she went off with a smile. I swear she loves nothing more than killing the Walkers God she loves going out to that area because it has so many there and she just kills them for fun I guess it's a great stress reliever for her and she does stay calm after doing her stress reliever

As we were going to go down, I looked at the calendar and I realised it is February 14 today and instantly I felt a pang of pain in my heart and I remember that it's been 5 years after my Ruby was taken away from me

As I was thinking about the horrible moment and tuning everything out, Zira noticed that I was staring at the calendar

"Hey Reece I know you love her but it's been 5 years she's gone and it's not your mistake you have to move on she's probably dead or worse one of those by now"

I swallowed a ball of guilt forming on my throat I gave her a small smile "Yes you're right but it's not easier said than done. *sigh* Let's go we can't waste time"

I throw the rope ladder down and go down first and I tell her that's its clear to come down and she comes down next we walk through the forest with the route map we made.

After some small talk, visiting a lot of old and embarrassing memories and a lot of teasing we finally reached the house. 78/ B Walter Street, Westleton and I thank the God for making us get to this town when the Dark plague hit because major cities went down immediately when it hit but this small town with enough population made it easier to survive and because of the population of animals here the zombies just didn't care much about human flesh except for the Reapers and Minotaur of course those monsters won't stop at anything when they see a human, lucky enough we haven't yet had to encounter one of those although and I hope we don't, I'm sure that there's a chance at least one of those would be here but it's close to none since probably we're the only humans left in this town and the fact that they don't that easily eat animals would cause them to go to other places where there might be humans.

As I was about to enter the house Zira, out of nowhere said: "I'm not going in there!" with a slight panic in her voice

I looked at her confused "Why? You're not afraid that we'll see a Walker in there, are you? We've killed like dozens of those, what's wrong no?"

She looked at me like I had just said the stupidest thing in the world "I'm not scared that there's might be a zombie in there, I actually hope I find one so I could savour killing it," yeah she loves killing zombies if you didn't catch on that "but look at that house" she said pointing towards the house "it looks like a demon lives there"

"Well if I were that demon I'd be scared of you, Zira" and her eyes went heaven wards "You can go in there but I'm not going, and you can't make me" I let out a smirk "Okay but if I find chocolate in there it's all mine" I said as I turned around knowing full well that her jaw dropped to the floorI heard her cuss under her breath "Okay fine I'm coming wait! But I promise Reece Edward Raymond if I get possessed I'm going to personally kill you before that demon does"

"Yeah yeah I'll perform an exorcism" I said as I walked towards the door I grabbed the door knob and felt shiver run down my spine it was cold as ice that's weird, the sun is high in the sky how come this door knob is so cold well I guess I shouldn't tell Zira she'll definitely freak out, I turned to look at Zira and whispered "I'm going to open it grab your bat" she showed me her bat which has been hammered with hundreds of iron nailswith dried up black blood on them "You should clean that sometime"

"Oh shut up and open the door" she said clearly irritated

Okay somebody isn't excited to go in here, I wonder why ?