Chapter 9 : Togetherness

A week later.

Alya had come back from Italy, after a strenuous fashion week. She was back at work, however, her usual zeal was missing. She drudged on, trying her best to stand on her feet, but she barely had the energy. Every now and then, she found herself snapping at her crew and was fed up with herself and everyone.

"Ma'am, please don't mind me saying this but I really think you should rest. You look pale, ma'am." Her assistant, Sarah said.

"Hmm. Maybe you're right." Alya said and got up from her chair, but the movement made her head spin and she stumbled, holding her head.

"Ma'am!"

"Fuck..." Alya cursed, feeling dizzy and weak-limbed all of a sudden. She looked up at Sarah and the last thing she saw was her assistant's panic-stricken face before the world went black.

-----

When Alya opened her eyes, hours seemed to have passed. The first thing her eyes fell on was the white wall in front of her, a white that was disarming enough because it just looked bland, but comforting enough for her to wake up to. Nevertheless, no sight would be comfortable enough because she felt a throbbing pain in her ankle.

"Oh, you're awake." She heard someone say and turned slowly to see Dhruv standing beside her, reaching out to hold her hand.

"Alya, tumne dara diya mujhe." Dhruv said, kissing her palm. Alya smiled softly and pulled Dhruv close.

"What happened? Why am I here?"

"Well, you fainted at work and Sarah saved you from falling on the floor. She called me immediately and I came rushing. I just sent her home and gave her a day-off for tomorrow, on your behalf. She needs a raise." Dhruv said, shaking his head.

"Hmm. You're right. Did the doctor say something?" Alya asked, after sipping a drink of water from the glass Dhruv passed to her.

"Hmm, they told me that they'll take blood tests when you wake up. You're really weak and you kinda sprained your foot when you fainted." Dhruv said, lifting the blanket to show Alya the bandaged foot.

"Ah, that explains it. It really hurts." Alya said, hissing as she tried to sit up.

"No heels until your ankle heals." Dhruv said, pulling Alya's cheek.

"Okay, sir." Alya replied, rolling her eyes. Just then, the nurse came.

"Ah, aap jaag gaye. Blood test samples collect karna hai." She said and picked up a tray. They watched as the nurse prepared the syringes for the blood test.

"Where's Adah?"

"She's at Ma's place. I didn't want her to see you like this." Dhruv said with a sigh. Ever since Alya started going to Milan often, Adah became more attached to her mother, often asking and worrying about Alya.

It was sweet but Alya understood how it could be stressful for Dhruv to take care of Adah and her incessant questions in demanding times like these.

Dhruv made light conversation with Alya to distract her as the nurse drew blood. As soon as it was over, Alya sighed in relief and looked at Dhruv.

"I want to use the restroom, help me na." Alya said. Dhruv nodded and helped her get up, lifting her in his arms bridal-style so that she didn't have to apply pressure to her foot.

Alya blushed, feeling shy suddenly. They were married for years but it still felt very new whenever they performed such public displays of affection.

"Urine sample bhi collect kar lijiye." The nurse said and the two of them nodded.

For a couple of hours, Alya and Dhruv were catching up with each other, making up for lost time. Alya talked to her brother, mother-in-law and daughter over the phone as well, promising to take care in the future and ensuring them she was just fine.