8

"Here." You sat down next to Dabi on the new couch. The same one that he'd been so upset over just a little while ago, looked like he'd gotten over it. "This is most of the information that I found."

He took the papers that you'd printed with a hint of smugness. You ignored the expression.

While taking your shower, you'd made the decision to give him the information and pretend as though nothing had happened. The two of you were partners, no matter the fact that it had been unwillingly. If Dabi had found a potential lead you would want him to share it with you. Therefore, you needed to do the same.

The scene in the bathroom had been a moment of weakness, nothing more than the two of you needing to relieve yourselves of the stress that had accumulated in the recent days. It didn't change the fact that he was nothing more than a means to an end, a partner, for the time being, and there was a goal you both needed to work together to reach.

"So," Dabi looked up. "From what I can tell, you believe that the woman who'd given birth to the first child to possess a quirk came in contact with this weapon at some point in her life. That, or it was the child who did. Either way, I'm assuming that you want to try and access the families' records?"

Huh, you hadn't expected him to piece all of it together so quickly. "Yeah, which is why I let Hawks think that I'm willing to accept his friendship. Something that I was trying to explain while you were accusing me of betraying you."

"I thought I already apologized for that, didn't I?"

"Maybe, but I tend to hold a grudge." You leaned over, meeting his heated gaze. "You'd do well to remember that, by the way. Because what happened back there won't be happening again. The next time you try and speak to me the way that you did, you will be apologizing with blood."

Your threat seemed to have the opposite effect of what you'd intended it to. Dabi's expression didn't falter in the slightest. "And when that does happen, the blame will lie on you for assuming that your punishment wouldn't be something that I'd enjoy."

"God, you are insufferable." You turned away, taking the pages from his hands. "Anyways, you'll need to get used to Hawks and me spending time together. To gain access to those records, I need him to trust me. Or, if that doesn't happen, I need to be in a position to where I'm close enough to him to swipe his access card."

Dabi shook his head. "I agree that getting close to him would be beneficial, but you also need to be extremely careful. Don't let his title deceive you, the number-two hero is conniving, if he figures out what you're doing, he'll report you to the commission, or the League of Villains, wherever his loyalties lie at the time."

"The League?" You asked. "You're saying Hawks is in contact with them?" A memory resurfaced, reminding you of when Dabi had mentioned that there was a leak within the commission.

"He recently became a tentative ally, someone to feed us information that we would otherwise not have access to. The other League members seem to trust him, but I don't. I believe that the commission sent him to work as a spy, a double agent of sorts. That's why I was so upset when I learned that you'd seen him. If you get close to Hawks, you are taking the risk of getting us both caught by both of the major groups who are seeking to take the weapon."

You were stunned. It wasn't that you'd thought Hawks was the most trustworthy guy, but for him to be the one potentially working with the villains? Even if he was a spy, that meant that he knew of the League's plans, and yet he would stand by and let them happen so that he wouldn't be discovered. The number-two hero, a man that millions of people looked up to, a man tasked with the protection of the people, was working closely with the group that yearned for the destruction of society and everyone within it.