6 - 'Til Death do us Part

Lizzie bundled herself in fur coats, sitting on top of her Prisma-Palace; she cradled a bucket of warm milk in her hands. She watched as the Codfather sailed over to the outer lily pad, a Shulker Box in the palm of his hands. He rode down to the stairway winding up the tower, walking up to join Lizzie on the roof. They stared down at the frosted Cod Empire, Joel's statue now crushing the rest of the wooden imperialism. Jimmy saw his discarded Codfather mask drifting in the cold sea, a large crack slashing down the face. He winced at the sight; it was a memory he didn't wish to dwell on.

Lizzie was cold, she sat freezing on the outer Lily pads. Joel was on his way to pick her up and take her to the mainland where it was warmer.

Eyeing the open oceans, she watched for Joel to come rowing over. Her lantern was about to die and after that, she didn't know whether she could go on.

Jimmy joined her at the bay, saying a last farewell to his embassy and the only remaining memory of his Empire.

Like a guardian angel, Joel sailed over in a long boat, similar to the ghost ship Lizzie herself constructed months ago.

He came to a halt right in front of the Seablings, who smiled at his arrival. Joel hopped off, tying the ship on a small tree perched uneasily on the lily pad. Joel stared Lizzie reassuringly in the eyes, he looked so hopeful, but noticed Lizzies freezing palms, and froze up.

"I'm gonna get you out of here..." He told her, smiling calmly. Jimmy had already hopped onto the boat and rested himself beside a block of Magma. Lizzie picked herself up and fumbled towards the boat. She took a step and collapsed, landing the freezing waters.

"LIZZIE!" Joel discarded his netherite gear and dove in after his wife, who fell limp under the chill.

Jimmy rummaged in his Shulker box, retrieving a small blue bottle. "Joel!" Jimmy tossed the Water-Breathing Potion at Joel, who swallowed the viscous gel then dove back under.

Lizzie was limp, her eyes white as her axolotl form unravelled itself like a kite. Joel had not time to focus on her glistening blue skin and majestic appearance, he only had one thought on his mind:

Save Lizzie.

Catching up with the Ocean Queen, Joel struggled to get her out, something was pulling her down. The frantic Mezalean King Stared down at her legs, where he expected to see a tendril pulling her down.

But there was nothing... Which meant-

Lizzie stared Joel in the soulful eyes, she had an expression of relaxation, and submission. Joel shook his head, he tried to scream but only sheets of air bubbles came out.

The Ocean Queen smiled, holding onto Joel's shaky hands. "its okay..." She said. "I know what'll happen to me down there, and I want it to happen..." Joel screamed louder, only a muffled wail coming out of him.

Joel stared over at a sunken piece of rubble, shaped like a wedding ring. He recalled that day, the day he proposed. It was sad to see his romantic gesture broken.

"Joel..." Lizzie laughed. "Let me go..." Joel shook his head, but Lizzie kept saying it "let me go, let me go..." she slowly sunk further down, Joel tried to get her out, but he felt himself drowning, Jimmy's water breathing potion had ran out, and he had to get out of the water.

He felt his clasp on Lizzie diminishing with every second, soon, he held on only to her finger; but with every loss of breath, Lizzie sank further.

"Joel...." Lizzie retrieved from her inventory a large teal trident, she pressed it against his chest, and spun it...

Riptide.

Joel flew out of the ocean, the Mezalean King landed in the Prisma Palace throne room. He got to his feet; shaking the chill off his broken figure and got up to stare down at harsh waves lapsing over Lizzie's grave. The Codfather stared over at Joel with fretful eyes. He ran up the winding staircase to the central tower and stood opposing each other on either side of the throne bridge.

"She can respawn..." Jimmy told himself. "She'll be back..." Joel stared Jimmy in the eyes, the wash of the ocean brushing the briny rocks surrounding the Palace. A morbid silence hung in the sea foam air; Joel walked slowly towards Jimmy.

"She can..." Joel breathed. "But it's a choice she gets to make..." Opening the palm of his hands, Joel gazed upon the gold ring. Jimmy, noticing the ring, started sobbing. Joel blurred out it all, he just kept thinking about how it was his fault, had he just docked closer to the pad, Lizzie would still be here.

No...

No Joel, it wasn't you...

Scott started this, So his death will end it

Authors Note: Sorry if this feels unrelated, my brains been blanking all week and I had already written this chapter in advance, I can go into more detail about The Cod Empire falling another time, maybe