Chapter 2 - Memories

I twist the door knob as slow as I can the last thing I want is a Leaper or a Ghoul pouncing towards me as I open the door. I visibly cringe a little as the door creaked. When the door fully opened a plunge of bad odor hit my face making me feel nauseous I turn to look at Zira and she was covering her mouth and nose I whisper to her "I think something died in there." Clearly annoyed and irritated her eyebrows went sky high "You think?" I roll my eyes and I start to take small steps trying not to touch anything in the house,

I walk as the wooden floor creaks at every step I take, and suddenly we hear something move at the back of the house, it sounded like someone walking inside, I turn to look back at Zira and I can even see her excitement through her face mask which I guess she wore when I wasn't paying attention.

I gesture with my hand to go first and without a second thought she went in front with her bat ready to swing at anything that comes, while she goes front ready to kill anything that comes in front of her I look around the house, cobwebs everywhere, it was dusty and stuffy I quickly pull out my own face mask to help me breath better this place hasn't been cleaned even before the apocalypse and there was old stuff that looks like antique vases, old rotor phones and there was gigantic grandfather clock which surprisingly is still working and in the old console I see a pocket watch I quickly grab it and I look at it mesmerized.

It had gold borders, black interior, copper coloured roman numbers and silver hour and minute hand with the gold colour cog wheals ticking as the seconds went by I was always a big watch lover but this is a masterpiece who ever lived here had a good taste on watches, I stuff the pocket watch inside my pocket and turn to look Zira, who is almost there I guess she didn't notice I wasn't behind her or she did notice and just let me have my fun and went for a solo kill.

As I quickly walked towards her I check all the doorways along the hallway just in case nothing comes from behind, I look up the staircase which is located halfway through the hallway just to make sure nothing is nearby and as I went closer to Zira the last room caught my attention.

I saw that on the nightstand besides the bed had a little radio but I focused on the task at hand to kill whatever that is inside this house and as we reached the end of the hallway Zira looked inside the room and she quickly went inside and I saw her swing her bat and I hear a loud BANG and something fell to the ground and I went inside to quickly check and Zira was thrashing her bat again and again in the head of a Walker, black blood slowly oozing out of its head and what you used to be its face, completely smashed and destroyed and  while she was catching her breath.

I pull my hatchet out of my holster and I swing it right on its neck and I chop its head off in one swing. You have to be sure.

I look at Zira who  not-so-surprisingly looks a little calmer after killing one walker for today "You should use your knife more often, Zira." I said as I kneel down to take a closer look "I like thrashing them and besides after I do you always chop their heads off, so what's the issue?" she said as she was looking around what looked like it used to be a kitchen but oddly it doesn't have any furniture "well it's a bit risky beating them, the blades get the job done quickly." I said as I inspected it "well I like to take my chances" I rolled my eyes at her reply "What do you think this one is" I asked trying to make sure none of the higher level Walkers are around yet I like this town and I'm not ready to leave it yet, "Well it had Dark Green on its face before I hit it and it was pretty slow to turn around I think it was just a Civilian" she said as she was taking a sip of her water. Well that's a relief these things are just worthless in the tier of Walkers they're slower than the others at moving and they're not really strong as the others although these go in hordes making it harder to escape I guess this one just left the horde which is odd.

"Okay let's check the cabinet and go check the second floor out quickly, I don't think you'd want to stay here for the night" I said as I walked to the cabinets while sliding my hatchet back into its holster and covering its blade with its leather safety the last thing I want is to get cut by my own hatchet with infected blood on it, "Oh hell no, I am not sleeping in this filthy house." She said clearly making a statement, "like we have a mansion waiting for us to return" I replied searching through the expired oats and cornflakes "well at least our tree house smells way better than this place and it is not so stuffy like this one. 

"well she does have a point, it is nice and cozy inside our home, "I guess you have a point but less talking more searching" as I replied I saw a window which has been boarded up with planks and nail to my right and I hear Zira murmurs something barely audible but I can make it out that she's calling me bossy, "I heard that" I say as I give her a playful glare, "BOSSY!!! Is it better now?" I role my eyes how lucky am I to survive the apocalypse with my best friend, and still even though we both are really depressed about our loved ones we still have our small arguments, playful fighting, our friendly competition between each other it's fun to be with your best friend, even in the apocalypse. 

As I start to pull away from reality I start to  think about how my life was before nature decided to send a plague with mindless flesh eating monsters to destroy it, 

how I was finally doing so well in collage, making friends,

As I walked into my dorm room I see a guy with dark black hair and hazel like eyes standing there and looking around until I closed the door which made him look towards me, "Oh hi, you must be Reece I am going to be your roommate" he said as he reached his hand for a handshake "Oh yeah, you must be Archer right?" I said as I shook his hand "yep" he replied with a small smile and that was the start of a great friendship that I will remember forever,

Studying well and getting A's for the first time on exams,

"hey Reece you coming man it is our senior year, you never really cared about studies before, why now?" Archer said as he was getting ready for the party "Well Archer its senior year don't you think we should study at least a little bit more for the sake of our future" I said as I was revising on the old chapters "well yeah I do care about my studies but hanging out with your friends isn't going to cost you much" he said as he was grabbing his keys "yeah yeah I'll hang out with you guys on Sunday" I said the same thing I have been saying this whole week ,"this is the Sunday!" he yelled "Wait really?" I said in astonishment as I was thinking how I'm going crazy,

how I was having such a good time hanging with Zira and the rest of the squad but most importantly I was thinking about Ruby and the first time I saw her,

As I was walking to my class in a hurry scolding myself for drinking so much last night and to be more careful next time, I quickly looked at my watch to make sure it was 9 that I saw in my clock back in my room and not 6, as I was staring in to my watch trying to make out the numbers I bumped into someone and I hear at least 20 books hitting the ground and an annoyed groan I turned around to see pile of book scattered on the ground and a girl with dark black hair, a jaw line that people will kill for and the most beautiful grey eyes I have ever seen looking at me with what seems to be shyness or anger or something of those two mixed and kneeling down with one of her knees trying to collect all the scattered books and I knelt down to help her collect all of her book and as I collected the books I saw at least 4 novels that were my all time favourite romance novels, I knew at that moment that I just found my soul mate.