30

Waking up from my nap, I didn't feel any better. Actually, I felt worse and I didn't know why.

I rolled onto my back and groaned. My stomach was cramping and it felt like I could throw up. I hated that feeling. Especially when I couldn't do anything about it.

Turning my head to the side, I saw Ms. Diane setting the table for lunch. Just the thought of eating made my stomach turn.

I whined until she looked in my direction. She walked over to my crib and rested her arms on the railing.

"How are you feeling, sweetie?"

"My stomach hurts."

"Do you want to sit with me in the rocking chair?"

"But... you need to eat."

"I want to make sure you feel okay first." She leaned in and pulled me into her arms. There was something that made me feel more relaxed while being with her. I knew laying in her arms was better than being in the crib.

I relaxed into her chest, tucking my face into her neck. The warmth of her skin helped to distract me from the awful feeling in my stomach.

She carried me to the rocking chair and slowly began rocking back and forth. She knew how I felt about using the pacifiers and stopped pushing them on me once she realized I didn't need to be forced to use them. I didn't like them but it didn't stop me from resorting to them whenever I was upset or tired.

I clutched my bear against my chest as I tried focusing on anything other than the pain in my stomach. I could hear the other kids making noises and Mrs. Veronica talking to them. I would have rather been eating lunch like the rest of them than to be sick.

Just when I thought I was going to fall asleep, my stomach decided to really flip and I knew I was going to throw up. I sat up in Ms. Diane's lap and pointed at the trash can that sat under her desk.

"Here, sweetie." Ms. Diane held out the trash can for me, the opposite hand holding my hair back.

As my stomach settled, I fell back against her chest. I felt miserable. I was tired but I'd just woken up from my nap so maybe I wouldn't be able to fall back asleep. But I knew playing was now out of the picture for me.

Ms. Diane got to her feet and walked over to her desk. She picked up her phone and started dialing a number.

"Who are you calling?"

"Your daddy. You need to get some rest." It felt weird to think back on the times she and the other teachers would refer to Alex as my daddy or father. I had been so upset and didn't want him to fill that role when I had my own father to do so. But ever since things had changed, it didn't bother me as much. I liked knowing that there was someone in my life who cared about me. 

I stared at the cord for the phone as she listened to the ringing on the other end before Alex picked up.

"Hi, Alex. This is Diane. No, Lyla's not in trouble. I don't know why you assume she's always in trouble. Anyway, I wanted to let you know that she's not feeling well today. Her stomach's upset and she's been sleeping off and on all morning. Okay, I'll let her know. Thanks."

"Is he coming to get me?"

She brushed my hair back. "He'll be here soon."

"Is he gonna be mad at me?"

"You're always worried about everyone being mad at you. You have no reason to be worried, sweetie. Honestly, I think someone got you sick. Julian has been out for the last two days because he's sick. You probably caught the same bug he has."

"I don't like being sick."

"I know you don't." She stood and carried me back to one of the rocking chairs.

I tightened my grip on her shoulder, my tiny fists holding her sweater between my fingers. My stomach felt empty yet stuffed at the same time. I felt nauseous even though I had just thrown up. I hated the feeling that came with being sick and I wanted it to be over already.

The rocking of the chair wasn't helping to make me feel any better but Ms. Diane rubbing my back did help a little.

"Honey, your daddy's here." I lifted my head at the sound of her voice, not realizing that I had dozed off.

I looked over my shoulder and saw Alex walking through the door. There was a bit of snow dusted in his hair and over the shoulders of his jacket. His eyes met mine and I felt mine well up with tears.

Alex walked over and I reached out for him. He opened his mouth to say something but when he saw the tears on my cheeks, he closed his mouth and lifted me into his arms.

"Hey, Ly. Ms. Diane said you're not feeling too good?"

I hid my face in his neck. The section of hair he missed while shaving that morning tickled my face.

"Let's go see Monica."

I whined. I didn't want to go see Monica because it meant I couldn't go home and sleep. I just wanted to be where I was comfortable.

"She hasn't been feeling well all day so I have a feeling it was just brewing and waiting to come up. Hopefully, it doesn't last too long." Ms. Diane said. She followed us to the cubbies where my diaper bag was.

"I hope she didn't get anyone else sick."

"I'm thinking another child got her sick, actually. We've had another boy out for a few days."

"I'm sorry to hear that. It must be going around." Alex draped my jacket over my shoulders, not even bothering to make me put my arms through the sleeves. "I guess we'll see you in a few days."

I was almost asleep again when Alex walked out the door. He stopped after taking a few steps, cursed, then turned and went back into the classroom.

Ms. Diane seemed to have read his mind and walked over to us, holding my bear in her hand. "You don't want to lose this. She'd never let you hear the end of it."

"No, we don't. Thanks. You're a lifesaver."

Ms. Diane smiled. "I'm just doing my job."

---

Hey, everyone. I wanted to write a quick author's note to let you know what to expect in this story moving forward as well as to get some feedback from you all.

So... I really like this story and these characters but I'm not ready to end it just yet. Would you all like me to keep going for a while or end it within the next few chapters? I feel there is more to be done yet I don't want to drag the story out if you're no longer interested. Because I've been there before, as a reader, where a story keeps going long after it should. I don't want to bore you. Also, I wanted to say that I'm still going to write my stories and add new ones. I've just been very burned out and overwhelmed in life lately and have been unable to get anything typed out for my stories. I hate that I'm not updating more consistently for you all. I don't like inconsistency. But I've just been going through it lately and feel so overwhelmed with even daily tasks. I'm really hoping that the holiday season will get me out of this funk. Thank you guys for sticking with me. It means so much to read your comments on every chapter and to see your encouraging comments. You guys mean a lot to me. Stay safe and keep reading!