76

Daniella was frustrated as she failed to notice the double yellow flag during the qualifying session and is now under investigation. Even though no decision has been made she is sure that she will receive a penalty.

“I am sure you will be able to bounce back if you receive a penalty,” Nate tried to comfort Daniella.

“But no penalty would be nice,” Christian glared at her. “Mercedes is closing the gap and you can’t let them win.”

“Me?”

“I meant we..us as a team.”

Everyone decided to head back to the hotel after being informed that the decision about the penalty will be made tomorrow.

***

As both Daniella and Lando were tired they decided to stay in their own rooms instead of sharing one. Both needed some alone time to relax.

Daniella sat on the balcony as she looked at the night sky and enjoying the silence.

She smiled as her phone started ringing and Lando's name appeared on the screen. She answered the call and a tired looking Lando appeared. He was in bed, ready to sleep.

“You are not going to say anything?” Daniella chuckled as Lando just looked at her.

“I just want to look at you,” Lando replied.

“You look cute,” Daniella chuckled. Lando was laying on the side, his cheeks look puffy and hair messed up.

“Shut up! I look hot,” he argued. “You look cute.”

Daniella laughed as she ran her fingers through her hair.

“Have you got any update?” Lando asked about the penalty.

“No,” Daniella sighed. “But I think I will get a five place grid penalty.”

Lando nodded.

“Just don’t expect me to let you pass easily,” he laughed.

“Don’t worry,” Daniella rolled her eyes. “I can easily overtake you.”

***

As expected Daniella received a five place grid penalty. Even though its not the best situation, Daniella and her team is confident to a good result.

Pierre who was in P2 fall back so Daniella could get past him and move ahead. But she had no idea it was an order from RedBull so Pierre had no choice but to give up hid position.

Fernando did put up a good fight but Daniella managed to over take him and after that it was just Lewis who is leading the race.

With only a few laps left Daniella started to slowly loose pace.

“Looks like you have to retire,” Nate informed her.

“No,” Daniella replied. “I want to go ahead.”

She pushed the car to the limit while losing pace and Fernando right behind her. At this point it was all about defending her position rather than overtaking Lewis

The checkered flag was on sight and Lewis was the first one to cross it, than Daniella and Fernando.

She had to stop the car on the side and got out and walk the rest of the way.

***

After the podium celebration she went to meet Lando who had an unfortunate puncture that cost him a podium.

When she entered the driver’s room Lando didn’t even bothered to look at her.

“Are you okay?” she asked as she sat beside him and rubbed his back.

“I lost another podium,” he mumbled as he lift up his head to look at Daniella. “And you once again were on the podium.”

Daniella can clearly see the mixture of anger and disappointment on his face.

“The puncture was not your fault, there is nothing you could have done,” Daniella tried to comfort him.

“Yeah,” he said dryly. “Nothing is ever my fault.”

“Lando…”

“Can you please leave?” he asked, not meeting her eyes. “I really want to be alone right now.”

Daniella was taken aback. He never pushed her away in times like this.

“Lando, are you sure?” Daniella gently touched his cheek, making him look at her.

“Yeah,” he nodded. “I will find you after the interviews are over.”

“Promise?”

“I promise,” Lando kissed her cheek and gave a smile.

“Okay, I will see you later,” she pecked his lips before leaving the room.

***

“Watch it Daniella,” George snapped as Dani ran into him in hurry.

“You could have moved out of the way,” she snapped back.

Just as Daniella was about continue moving she was pulled back. She was about to snap at George once more but realize her watch got stuck on George’s Williams shirt.

“Idiot,” George glared at her as she tried to untangle her watch chain from his shirt.

As Daniella was getting impatient she gave up and just started pulling the watch, almost tearing the shirt.

“Dani stop..stop,” he hold her wrist to stop her from ruining his shirt.

“I don’t have time for this,” Daniella sighed.

“Let me,” George offered to help.

“No need,” she just took off her watch, leaving it dangling on the shirt.

“What am I supposed to do with this now?”

“Wear it, throw it away, your choice,’ Daniella replied as she ran to give her post race interviews.

“Great!” George sighed as he continue trying to remove the watch, earning stares from everyone around.

**********

A/N: Thoughts on Lando and Dani?

Thoughts on George and Dani?

The championship battle is so close and only two races to go

I am really really really tempted to give this story a sad or bitter sweet ending but also feel like a happy ending is the best option.