Chapter 51

Ines peaked inside the enemy's camp through a crack of the wooden walls that surrounded it. Their plan was to capture one alive and safely make it out of there. She doubted it would be that easy, but at least she would finally enjoy some action.

'Let's go,' she said to the others and ran towards the single entrance of the bunker.

With determined expressions on their faces, they impetuously burst in the camp. They split up to gain an advantage and used the element of surprise. They had just enough time to carry out their strike before they detected them.

As agreed, Ines and Inerma seized the closest masked figure they found in their way, a slim person who was standing by the entrance with their back at them. Their captor fought against their tight hold, but Ines ignored the soreness she felt in her arms.  She swallowed her discomfort and dragged their victim outside. If Inerma hadn't gagged them with her hand, their screaming would have given them away.

The women quietly exited the camp, while the men kept watch for any attackers a little bit further. The night's gloom fortunately hid them from their enemies, though in any case the masked figures didn't seem to be that attentive. The moment that thought crossed her mind, a sharp pang in her left shoulder almost made her cry in pain, her legs almost buckling under her.

Ines gritted her teeth and barely managed not to scream. Her vision bleared, but she didn't stop. She signaled to Inerma to move faster. The more distance they put between them and the camp, the safer they would be, and right then they didn't have the luxury to stop.

She glanced at their captor and found out they were already staring at them. Somehow, she felt that the person they were dragging with them had to something with the pain in her back. Gripping their captive's arms, each on either side, they rushed down the mountain, heading towards lower ground where the others would meet them.

They found a lone tree that stood behind a rock. The place wasn't perfect, but they would have to make do. Inerma took a piece of cloth and tied it over their captor's mouth, as Ines took out the rope Landos had given her to restrain their arms. They immobilised the person and removed their mask.

A pale face of a woman appeared behind it. Her big white eyes stared back at them, full of hatred, and they returned the favour. Their glaring contest hadn't lasted long until it was suddenly interrupted by someone approaching. Ines instinctively touched her sword, prepared to strike if needed, but Matthew's deep voice made her worries vanish.

'We had to kill one or two,' he informed them with a note of guilt.

'Peter! Your back!' Inerma exclaimed in surprise once Ines turned around.

'You have a knife sticking out of your shoulder and you don't even say anything?' Landos yelled at her and immediately started taking his vials out of his bag; and they were a lot.

'It wasn't like I had any choice!' she defended.

The elf rolled his eyes, pushing her to sit on the ground. 'It will hurt, I'm telling you that,' he warned her.

'Nothing I haven't been through.'

He came behind her and started inspecting the wound. Ines glanced up, only to see Matthew staring at them with a hard expression on his face. His eyes were throwing daggers at her, and his fingers were gripping his weapon like he wanted to strangle it. The pain in her back did nothing to distract her from his piercing gaze.

Ines felt her cheeks flush in embarrassment. She knew she was testing his limits and that he was struggling to keep his cool. The intensity of his emotions was written all over his face and they were too much for her to bear.