knocking on heaven's (read: my employer's) door

"Your pressure is way too strong!"

"Whaaat? They're plants. I'm sure they can take a beating."

"Arataki, you're going to destroy the leaves!"

"I won't, calm down~"

You're more than aware of how your early morning banter is attracting the attention of the passers-by on Sakura Street. Those gazes flashed in yours and Arataki's way are quick to avert when they realize who it is they're staring at. You don't really blame them. After all, if it were you, you wouldn't want anything to do with a gang leader murdering exotic plants with a garden house out in the open.

"Give me that," you hiss, snatching the spray nozzle from his hands before adjusting the water pressure. Once you press the handle, a calm sprinkle of water douses the plants displayed outside your shop—a far-cry from the setting Arataki had it on earlier.

"That's how you water them." Huffing, you press the object back into his (not very) capable hands. "Didn't you tell me 'taking care of plants is the same as taking care of pets' the other day? Would you blast your pets with water like that, too?"

He squeezes the handle a few times, trickling water all over the sidewalk before giving you a straightforward answer. "Why not? It's fun."

Oh, dear archons.

It's been a few days since the problem child that came in the form of one Arataki Itto was assigned to your care. Honestly, it feels more of a punishment than a means to make up for last week's crashing incident, but Shinobu was so intent on having her boss help around that you just couldn't kick Arataki out. No matter how much his airheaded tendencies got in the way of getting actual work done, no matter how much he grates on your nerves in general, you steeled yourself through it all because the property they offered was the reason you can live independently today.

"Now this is an interesting mix."

You jump a little at the sound of Kazuha's voice. He's already switching off the engine to his motorcycle when you notice it parked by the curb. Those red-amber eyes are alight with curiosity as Kazuha's gaze darts between the two of you.

"Wait a sec..." Arataki crosses his arms, narrowing his eyes at your poor delivery boy. "Aren't you the scrub that Shinobu always hires to deliver back all the loot we scored? You're the same guy, aren't ya?"

"The loot you what?" you repeat.

Kazuha manages a soft laugh before procuring his cell phone from his pocket. "Even if the Arataki Gang has more official business with regards to Hanamizaka's territory nowadays, Arataki-san over here can still maintain a bit of a...mischievous streak, if you may."

"...I'm not sure what you mean by that, but—"

"Oh, I just helped some of the kids under my wing win those beetle fights I told you about," Arataki nonchalantly supplies before resuming to water your plants. "Everyone knows that the loser has to surrender all the snacks and trading cards he has to those who come out on top."

Your jaw drops at his admission. Did... Did he just admit to stealing other kids' snacks and toys for the sake of his own?

"And it happens often enough that Shinobu-san has become one of my regulars as well," Kazuha sighs before showing you the electronic receipt to your most recent transaction. "This one's addressed to...Ritou Harbor. Quite far."

"Right?" you groan before gesturing for Kazuha to follow you inside the shop. "They just ordered a box of aralia seeds, but I still have a free delivery promo going on. Which means I gotta fork over the sky high delivery rates from here to Ritou. Ugh, don't they have a local flower shop there?"