forty-five: Colors

A month after.

Selena walked through the halls with a plain expression of defeat. She had felt nothing else ever since waking up in Nathaniel’s arms. Minutes after that, Lively showed up to check up on her.

It was all still a blur. Nathaniel’s image burned into her eyes. He was slumped over her, his mouth covered in blood, her blood, after marking her and saving her life.

A prickle in her heart caused her to gasp as she stood in plain, tears appearing in her eyes when her hand touched the skin on her neck and felt the grooves of Nathaniel’s mark.

Selena felt Nathaniel’s wolf inside of her. Its power made her shiver. When she had fallen, crying silently, his wolf comforted her. Like a sweet voice continually cajoling her to see the light of day.

She breathed sharply and wiped the tears on her eyes, practicing the smile she promised to wear in today’s ceremony.

“Ah, fuck.” She whispered under her breath and shrugged her reluctance off her shoulders.

She continued to walk to the foyer where all the wolves had gathered. It was odd. Today was a big event. Though the quietness of the atmosphere perturbed Selena.

Pack Morris lost an Alpha and a Luna in the same day. And the lively atmosphere Selena had witnessed the first time she arrived was nowhere to be seen nor heard.

Turning to the corner, her eyes catch Francis and his mate. She had met her a couple of times before when Francis and checked up on her. The wolf was in all accounts precious. Selena could see that both of them were crazy about each other. Especially Grace who acted like she was going to perish without Francis being six feet near her.

“Cousin,” she spoke lowly, her voice still sounding raspy from all her crying. “Grace… good morning.”

Francis flattened his lips.

“A morning isn’t particularly good when I’m not the reason why you’re frowning.” He chuckled lightly.

Selena nodded. She wanted to laugh but couldn’t muster enough energy.

“How are you feeling?” Grace asks.

“I’m good.” She nodded. Selena’s gaze traveled to the matching open-necked shirt Francis and Grace were wearing, displaying their marks proudly.

Beneath the darkness of her heart, watching Francis thrive with his mate made her feel a tiny bit better. From what she knew in their conversation, Grace was well-informed about everything in his past, including how proud he was of Sebastian.

“How about the two of you? Are you moving back to pack Highcliff or staying here?” Selena raises her brows.

A bright grin appeared on Grace’s face and took her gaze to Francis.

“I’m starting college this year and I’ll be moving states, luckily I got accepted at a college one hour away from pack Highcliff. Which means wherever he is, I'll be there too. Plus, I want to train as a spy, and who better to train me than Francis.”

Grace was a giggly girl who liked talking a lot and a perfect pair for Francis. She never thought this day would come so soon but she was happy for Francis. At least, he now wouldn’t need to fear the moment he would meet his mate.