♦ ONE ♦

The news of his demise finally reached Irene's ear. The doctor was very cautious as he explained the reason for her son's death, Irene sat dry-eyed on the bed after the doctor left. She didn't even know whether to cry or just ponder on the news. After seven fruitless years of waiting,God finally gave her and Andrew what they had been praying for only for him to take back of her treasured jewels,at least that was what she thought. She began thinking of Job in the bible and how he lost everything and God gave it back to him in ten folds. God had taken her son away and Kamene as they had planned to call him was like her everything.
  Every mother would want a son even more than a daughter, even though that was gender discrimination. But who will take over Andrew's estates and companies? that was one thing that kept on bugging her as finally,tears ran down her cheeks.
   She loved children especially boys,and now God had taken her only son away,she wasn't sure if she would ever conceive again,so many fearful thoughts crowded her mind but we're soon dismissed as Mama came into the ward and sat on the cushion beside Irene's bed. For a while there was silence. Then Mama broke it. "How do you feel?" Irene glanced at her with tearful,glassy eyes and shrugged. "God will compensate you" She went on to say and made to hold Irene's hand that wasn't attached to the drip. Irene felt like her eyelids were going to fall as she struggled to hold back the tears. Mama took out a white handkerchief from her purse and gave it to her. Slowly she mopped the salty tears......
     Andrew came by the following day to see how she was doing. He too had felt sad for her when he received the news of his son's death.
The ward was silent as usual when he walked in. Irene lay on the bed, staring at the uninteresting looking ceiling. He sat on the bed and they exchanged their matrimonial greetings almost silently.

"I heard of our son's demise. I couldn't come in to see you yesterday because I wanted you to absorb the news". He said sadly.

Irene shook her head,
" There's nothing to absorb. God gives and God takes".

"But our son. Our only son... I mean he didn't even spend up to a day before God took him away,I..."

"God gives! and God takes, Andrew".
Andrew stared at her, checking for signs of insanity but found none.

"Remember the story of Job in the bible.. remember?" Irene said.

"Yes I do but we are in the 21st century and not Job's time" He said.

"Andrew, God gives-"

"Enough of this God gives damn thing! Why did he have to take my son? Why not his sister? Huh?" He said angrily.

"Don't do this to yourself. At least let's be happy that we have her" Irene consoled.

By now she was choking with tears and their little argument had attracted a little crowd of busy-body nurses. Andrew buried his head in his hands.. Life was cruel to him. Now he had everything but a son.
Soon the nurses dismissed themselves and the couple was left alone. Irene hastily dried her tears.

"It's of no use crying. He is gone. May the name of the lord be blessed" She declared.

Andrew glared at her. "Are you really fine by this? I feel there must be a mistake somewhere"

"God doesn't make mistakes" Irene said. Andrew stared at her in amazement shaking his head.

"Holy Trinity is in need of a Catechist, why don't you apply to teach a class? I'm one hundred percent sure that none of your Catechumens will repeat any class".
  And for the first time in two days,the couple shared a moment of laughter.

♦ ♦ ♦
So that's chapter one (◕ᴗ◕✿). I hope you guys like it. Please vote and share. It means a lot to me.
Thank you。◕‿◕。