Chapter 48

You don't feel too good. As you head back to the venue, you can't seem to find the bride anywhere. But her spouse's still present in his spot. Grabbing the side of your dress and giving it a little pull, you walk over to the side of their fancy table as to not block them from the people and hand him Lisa's phone.

Jin flutters questioning eyes but gets it when a wallpaper of his face shines bright in the screen.

A photo of him holding a massive red paper cut heart.

"Thanks." Murmurs Jin. He lowers his head to capture your face, showing a look of concern. "Hey are you okay? You look... uneasy."

"Yeah, I'm fine." You're not fine. Hands sweating, words flow from your lips in a form of a babble. You're not even making eye contact as you fidget with your fingers. "I just um- saw someone I really wish I didn't."

In the midst of silence, a crease appears between Jin's face.

The latter looks away and dwells in a state of hesitancy and uncertainty. Like he's trying to find the right words.

He releases a sigh. "He was off and on with his decisions. I wasn't sure whether he'd come or not. I didn't even think he would actually make it."

"Hmm."

"Are you okay?"

You force a smile on your face. "Im fine."

There's a right time for everything. And now isn't the time for you to be having this conversation with Jin. It's his wedding day after all.

There's still guilt flashing his eyes.

"Really. I'm fine." You go as far as to giving him a steady laugh, jabbing a thumb over your shoulder as you gradually turn your body away. "I'll go grab some food. I'm starving I could eat a horse."

Giving him no space to say anything, you evacuate to the buffet table and section yourself between a massive isle of desserts.

The presentation is a blooming paradise. A chocolate fountain here, colorful pastries over there and is that a triple chocolate cream pie?

You're definitely getting that.

A couple of minutes sweep by and you're busy filling your face with pastries at the balcony. You're saving the cream pie for last.

The couple's having their first dance. Gliding and twirling to the melody—like characters straight out from an enchanted movie.

As you're busy admiring the couple from the side, someone accidentally bumps you.

"Oh my god—I'm really sorry." Says a female voice.

"It's fine. Don't worry about it." You may have gotten a few cream on your wrist but there's nothing a little wipe can't do.

"I'm sure I've got some tissues here."

It's not until this moment you look up to see who it is. The sharpness of her crimson dress almost sucks the air out of you. So much that you end up choking. And you may have startled her as well.

It's the same woman you saw at the parking lot.

She blinks her eyes in panic and quickly hands you a tissue at the same time leaving to retrieve a bottle of water.

"Are you okay?"

Gulping, you nod your head and blame the dessert by pointing at it. "Yeah. Went down the wrong esophagus. Thank you."

She scans your dress. "You're the maid of honor aren't you?"

Slowly, you incline your head as an indication that she's correct.

Her eyes sparkles with merriment. "You must be Y/n then. I'm Han Nara. I've heard so much about you from, Taehyung."

It's not really a surprise hearing that name coming from her.

"I'm sure you have." You mumble under your breath. Your eyes follow her arm towards where her palm rest gently against her swollen belly.

Although vague, you could have sworn something within you just shattered.

Then you remind yourself that it's been five years since you've last had contact with him.

It takes you a good ten seconds to notice she had her other hand extended and you alertly return the handshake.

Nara seems nice. "He talks a lot about you."

"I'm sure he has— but we're a thing of the past now." It's better to excuse yourself now before you end up rambling like a broken sewing machine. "And I um— I hope you're enjoying the night. I think I'll go refill my plate. Excuse me for a moment."

As the distance between you and Nara expands, you look back and see and man in a blue suit approach her. When she points at the direction you ran off to, all air gets squeezed out of your lungs.

She's making eye contact.

And in a not so obvious manner, you quickly do a side step and use the chocolate fountain as your shield.

Maybe you should just abandon post and leave. Because you're not ready to face him yet.

You raise your arm to grab your keys but all you're met with an empty hand. Where your wallet's supposed to be.

Did I drop it somewhere?

The only places you've been is at the buffet table, the bride and groom's table and-

"-the parking lot."

You must have dropped it there.

The breeze's colder not that it's almost mid night. You spot Lisa's chauffeur leaning against the vehicle but just as you're about to ask him if he's seen your wallet, a voice behind you stops you in your tracks.

"Looking for this?"