Chapter 15.

Heat crawled up my neck as a blush scorched cheeks from embarrassment. I jumped away from Noah guiltily. Neither of us had spoken yet. I didn't know what to say and the silence was making it worse. Only the sound of the rain slicing through the air was audible as it pattered on our surroundings.

"Oh!"

All three of our heads snapped to the source - my mum was stood in the hallway beaming.

"Mr Caldwell, Noah! Why are you both stood in the rain?" she exclaimed, then frowned at me crossly - I wasn't going to hear the end of this when they were gone.

Zach stepped forward as he ran a hand through his wet hair to move it out of his face. His previous anger vanished into thin air and a polite smile stretched across his features. This expression unnerved me. He was too calm.

The calm before the storm.

I looked to Noah, who had also regained his casual persona but still seemed wary.

"Just Zach is fine, Mrs Whitlock." he chuckled deeply and I couldn't help but melt.

"Right...Zach." my mother affirmed with a nervous laugh.

"We just decided to come and ask how Louise was getting on." he informed her, gesturing to Noah and I.

Usually I cringe at the use of my full name but it just seemed to roll off his tongue naturally. I savoured it.

Smooth.

My mum seemed to buy it and her smile only grew in size.

"That's very thoughtful of you." she smiled.

Very thoughtful indeed.

"Well, you're welcome to come in but we've ran out of teabags and I can't survive without a hot cuppa in the morning so I'm going to pop down the shop for a bit." she rambled hurriedly and it was then that I noticed she had her coat on and an umbrella at her side.

"Louise, there are some towels in the bathroom to help them dry off. Come on in. I won't be long." she beckoned Zach and Noah to step inside which they did so almost immediately before she popped open her umbrella then strode out of the house.

The rain was muted as I closed the front door after her. I slowly turned to face them as they stood staring at me in the hallway. I hated the way my body burned up when Zach scanned me with his dark eyes. I had never felt so self conscious in my life. Noah had a blank look on his face.

"I'm going to get the towels." I blustered.

"We'll wait in there." Noah told me softly.

Zach was dangerously silent as he lead the way into the living room and I quickly darted into the bathroom then locked myself in.

I was so dead.

He was really angry this time. I frowned. He didn't even have the right to be - I caught him red handed too. My chest tightened when I remembered his arms around Scarlett. She was so beautiful, not to mention she also seemed like she had a nice personality too. I had no chance. I didn't want a chance with him. Nothing was going on with Zach and I! He was just the idiot who ran me over and yet-

Towels.

Before I could over think any more, I snatched the towels off the rail and exited the room. When I reached the bottom of the stairs, I took a deep breath and then walked into the living room. Zach was stood near the window staring outside, his hands in his pockets. I glanced at Noah who was sat on the edge of the couch and he gave me a reassuring look.

Giving him a towel, he smiled gratefully. "Thanks."

This notified Zach of my presence. He turned his head to look at me for a moment before switching his attention back to the window. I bit my lip awkwardly before I slowly made my way over to him. As I got closer I had to clutch the towel tightly to stop myself from bolting - his intimidating tall frame and broad shoulders was enough to make my pulse thud rapidly in my ears.