Chapter 14

The tall god started to walk up to me and I frantically backed away from him. This continued until my back hit the side of a table. I felt papers push me forward and I stood straight up. I looked at the nonexistent spade between me and the table and I quickly realized I was trapped between a table and Thoth.

His silver eyes gleamed down at me, joy radiated on his face and he once again asked Aiden, "Seriously, is this a present?"

Aiden appeared by my side and threw the god to the side. Thoth stumbled for a few steps before he regained his sturdy footing. "She's a person! Not a thing," the pharaoh grumbled.

"I'd use the word person sparingly when it comes to her," Thoth retorted.

"What?" I questioned with horror.

Thoth raised a pristine dark eyebrow and remarked, "You really are clueless aren't you? Not surprising. Being an Amari is tricky business."

Amari?

"What's an Amari?" I asked, desperate to finally know what I am.

"Even my knowledge on your race is very limited. I've only come across the journal of one that lived here briefly a couple of years ago. Everything I know is what I read from it," he admitted.

Aiden put his arm around me and discreetly moved me slightly behind him. He scrutinized every feature that the god had, trying to decide if he believed him or not. "How do you know she's an Amari then?"

"I'm not completely sure," Thoth confessed, "I'm just fairly certain. Plus I'm never wrong."

"How?" I questioned.

Thoth side stepped Aiden and once again took ahold of a strand of my blonde hair. "The power you emit. I didn't notice at first because well Aiden here has quite a powerful aroma. I honestly didn't even realize you were here until Aiden pointed you out. You're far more powerful than a human but not as powerful as a demigod. From that journal I gathered that the other Amari was the same."

"So you don't actually know?" Aiden inquired.

"I don't know what else she could be," Thoth said.

This is ridiculous! What am I? Was I an Amari? A human? At this point, I'll even take goddess as an answer!

"Show me the journal," Aiden demanded.

Thoth solemnly nodded and stuck his hand straight out. Milliseconds passed and a brown leather-bound book flew into his hand. On the bottom right corner, the name Cara James was elegantly scrawled in black cursive.

Why does that seem so familiar?

Thoth carefully opened the book and read out loud, "New discovery. I can't even kiss someone who isn't my soulmate without jumping into another dimension. I know Kyna warned me about it but I still can't believe it's true. Granted I can't believe any of this is really true. Nobody should be able to do what I do. Love shouldn't lead to so much pain, but I won't give up. I have the possibility of finding my true soulmate and knowing that it's them for sure. I can't give up on that."

Aiden I looked at each other and I questioned, "Uhhh... what was she talking about?"

Thoth huffed and slammed the book close, he then said, "Do you want to know what an Amari is or not?"

"Of course we do!" Aiden interjected, "But maybe you should give us an overview."

The god groaned and rolled his silver eyes. After a few seconds, he relented, "Fine. From what I've read, an Amari is a woman who jumps between dimensions whenever they fall in love. They do this until they find their soulmate."