Chapter Eight: An Uninvited Guest.

For Silas, the days slowly inched closer to his wedding – the wait for him to marry Maria was maddening for him. He was finally just a day away from the wedding. Tomorrow he will finally be able to call Maria his wife again. Where he knows that Maria wants to marry him, she is willing to be his wife but still, the shadow of the doubt lingers over him, not because he thinks that Maria will change her mind but because of Sean.

Alice told him that she met Sean and how he was trying to manipulate her into believing that Ezra wasn't safe with Maria and him. Silas was furious to hear that. He always thought that Sean was willing to hurt him to get him off his way to Maria, but after what Alice told him – he realized that he will hurt anyone for Maria, even if it is Maria herself. Sean's obsession with her was fretting Silas, he was more and more concerned about her and Ezra's security. Up until now he always believed that Sean was trying to intimidate him with his empty threats but now, he was worried that Sean might act on his sinful thoughts.

Silas was staring into the empty sky – he couldn't even catch a glimpse of a single star or even the moon tonight – they were probably hiding under a thick blanket of clouds. It had been raining all day long – but it had finally stopped. Silas's eyes roamed on the sky that displayed a slight orange shade. "It might rain again," Silas was startled by a sudden voice from behind him.

He didn't think anyone was around until he turned around to see Elizabeth looking up at the sky before she looked at her brother and smiled. She was dressed perfectly for the weather, over the long dark green dress, she wore her black and golden pashmina shawl – it gracefully wrapped around her – guarding her against chilly winds. Where Silas was dressed in a plain black button-up shirt and an old pair of jeans – unlike his sister he liked the chilly wind biting against his skin.

Silas tugged his lips up in a half-smile, "Yes, maybe." He replied. Elizabeth blew her cheeks out as she stood beside her brother, her hair disassembled by the cold breeze – her fingers over the cold railing and her eyes on the city from up, "New York can only look this peaceful from up here," She chuckled.

Silas looked down as well and nodded, "True," he paused before he added, "No matter how chaotic this city is – I can never stop loving it. No matter where I go – how peaceful or vibrant the place is, after a couple of days I start to miss this city." He turned his head to look at Elizabeth before he continued, "All that time we lived in London, I missed my life in New York," he smiled, "This city has some kind of pull in it – I don't know what it is, but it is pretty amazing," he said.

Elizabeth heaved a sigh and nodded, "I get it. You feel for New York like I feel for London – I missed that place," she replied. Silas wasn't surprised that she missed their home back in London. She went to college there, she had her friends there, and then all the time she spends with their mother – taking care of her – of course, she was more drawn to London. Elizabeth looked up at the sky and spoke after a pause, "But you know what?" she said and looked at Silas, "No matter what, I would never like to go back to London," she told him. "That city, without mom – I don't know – I don't think it would feel like home without all the craziness," she shrugged and chuckled. "All the yelling and calling names, crying and the chaos – it will not be the same without it all," she added.

Silas wordlessly looked at his sister who still seems to struggle in accepting the absence of their mother. Silas is not ignorant – he sees how much does Elizabeth misses their mother and he does not blame her. She was there with Ruby when no one else was – she has seen Ruby Harrison through thick and thin.

Silas doesn't blame Elizabeth for missing Ruby – even after how she ruined his and Maria's life. Silas heaved a sigh, "You miss her, don't you?" Silas asked Elizabeth after a small pause. Elizabeth didn't look at her brother. She kept on looking out at the bright and lively city from above. She licked her lower lip and shrugged. She turned her head to look at Silas and with a small but sorrowful smile, she asked, "Is that a bad thing?" she asked. Her voice wobbled and her bright eyes glossed as she questioned, "Does missing her make me a bad person?"