Complicated Relationships || .015

Alison Parker. The lamb. She was the key to this whole robbery. Without her, she was certain that the police would've already entered. They would've risked the hostages' lives so that they could get the thieves out of the mint. "I think I've seen all of the hostages except for Alison Parker." Raquel started. They were saving the best for last. Raquel had been inside the mint all day. They would show one hostage at a time, and purposely take a long time to show another hostage. They were trying to buy as much time as possible to print even more money. Time was the key to this heist. The longer they stayed inside the more money they'd make. "I think it's her turn, no?" Raquel stood up from her chair finally, her eyes shooting straight to Tokyo when she spoke up.

"And if not?" Tokyo cocked an eyebrow and stepped closer to the woman. She was always so impulsive and at times she didn't act her age. Tokyo and Ava didn't know each other that well. They'd protect one another and they respected each other, but they didn't get to know each other. Ava was a bit more put together and mature, and she seemed to steer away from the impulsiveness of Tokyo. "You'll arrest us?"

"Hey, please, ladies. Calm down." Berlin spoke up as he stepped up close to Raquel. He was the one in charge of the members of the group and Raquel noticed that quickly. Ava stood near Berlin, the mask still on her face to protect her identity. "It's a little early for the mud and the bikinis."

"Look," Raquel spoke again, "since I've walked in here, all you've done is play with me." Tokyo and Rio couldn't help the smirks pulled on their lips as Raquel continued. "I had higher expectations for someone who has only a couple months to live." Raquel turned to look at Berlin and the smile on his lips faded completely. Ava's eyes widened, and she stood frozen in place, staring at Berlin for any hopes of him denying the statement.

"What's she talking about?" Rio asked. The smiles were wiped off everyone's faces as they stared in disbelief at Berlin.

"He has Helmer's Myopathy," Raquel explained. Berlin noticed Ava's gaze and could sense the weight of the news sinking in. "It's a very aggressive degenerative disease, unfortunately, with a life expectancy of only fourteen to twenty-five months," She blurted out. The words must have felt like a heavy burden on Ava's shoulders. The thought of having only a limited amount of time left with someone you love can be overwhelming. "It's possible that his muscles are starting to paralyze. Are you getting spasms? Hand tremors?" Berlin's eyes shut slowly, taking in a deep breath. Ava had noticed the tremors before but she hadn't expected it to be anything more than nerves from the heist. Every time she noticed it, it had been after an adrenaline rush. It couldn't be true. Ava found it hard to accept the fact that the man she loved was dying. Berlin stepped back slowly from Raquel, almost in a trance, and finally started to walk away from her. "I'm sorry about that. I thought that there were no secrets between you guys. I thought you were friends." Raquel's eyes went to Ava almost as if she knew there was something more than a group member relationship between the two of them.

"Berlin!" Ava called out to him before he rounded the corner, but he didn't stop walking. "Fuck." She huffed. She rushed after him, desperate for an explanation. She wished with all her heart that what Raquel had said wasn't true, but deep down, she knew it was. Berlin wouldn't have left in such a broken state if it wasn't. Ava increased her pace, running until she was right behind him. She gently touched his arm, bringing him to a halt. "Berlin, please stop," she said softly. Berlin gazed at her with cold eyes, and for a moment, she felt a distance between them. "What happened? What is she talking about?" she asked with concern, needing to understand what was going on.

"Eighteen months is what they gave me." Berlin gave in and answered her, but his eyes were still just as heavy.

Ava's heart sunk to the floor and twisted in a million knots. It felt like she'd been hit by a truck. She pulled the mask off of her face so that she could properly look at him. "Does Sergio know?" Berlin just nodded. Ava was feeling betrayed by both of them. She nodded slowly and took a step back. "I wouldn't have hidden it from you, but I didn't even know what we were," he tried to defend himself.