CHAPTER 38

"Tell me what's bothering you, dear," Mom says when we take our seat in the living room.

"I need you to tell me how the vampire king plans to use my blood to revive his brother."

"You're doing no such thing!" she screeched, understanding immediately why I'm asking the question.

"Mom, werewolves are dying. More every day. I can't sit back and continue to allow my people to die because of me."

"You're not responsible for their deaths. Only the vampire king is responsible for that."

"I'd love to believe that, but it can't be pure coincidence that he started killing werewolves after we rescued you from his prison."

"The vampire king hates werewolves. He might've been planning to go to war with us for a long time. Maybe it just happened after I was rescued that he suddenly decided to wipe out the werewolf clan."

"Mom, you know there's very little chance that's true. I've decided to offer myself to him with the condition that so he stops killing werewolves."

"You'll do no such thing. I promised your parents I'd keep you safe, and I will. I forbid you from going anywhere close to vampire territory."

"Mom. Forbidding me isn't going to stop me, and you know it. I need you to tell me how he plans to use my blood to revive his brother. Also, tell you in case I don't return, you must tell Nate "

"You can't do this Elizabeth. You're all I have," Mom says, tears forming in her eyes. She already knows deep down. I'm not going to back down. She just wishes I would. Same as I wish I didn't have to.

"I know, Mom. But I'm the only one who can save the werewolf kingdom."

"There has to be another way. You can't sacrifice your life like this," Mom says, with tears streaming down her face. I stand up from my seat and walk over to hers to comfort her.

"I wish there was, but this is the only way," I say, sniffing as I try my best to hold back my tears. I hug her as she cries more as my words sink in.

The following morning, I walk into the woods close to the house to clear my head. I plan to leave for vampire territory in a few days. Mom cried so much I was afraid she'd become sick. She was able to stop when  her body got dehydrated, and she had no more tears to offer.

I can't imagine what Nate will do or feel when he finds out. He might not even care when he finds out I'm half a vampire. It might make it easier for him to deal with my death. My train of thought is interrupted when I hear rustling in the bushes behind me. I quickly sniff the air to find out what species is in the bushes.

"Come out, young one," I smelled a werewolf. The little pup comes out from behind the bushes. "What are you doing here?" I ask.

'I'm lost,' She mind links me. She's in wolf form. Werewolves first shift when they are ten. From the size of her wolf and voice, she should be ten or eleven years old.

"Shift back to human form."

'I don't know how to shift back.'

This is very common when werewolves first start shifting. It's hard to shift back to human form and vice versa.

'Are you from this pack?'

'Yes.'

'Alright, follow me. I'll take you home.'

"Thank you, kind she-wolf."

"You're welcome young one," I say, patting her head.

The little pup runs toward my legs and stays beside me as we walk to the packhouse. I wonder who her parents are. On our way to the packhouse I smell blood and not just blood, vampire blood. I quickly ask the pup to hide in the bushes as I try to find the vampire. I'm about to shift into my wolf before the vampire appears so I can tear it into shreds but stop when the vampire reveals himself.