Chapter 5: The Reservation

31.03.2015

Copyright © March 2015 All Rights Reserved

Chapter 5: The Reservation

Sandra Adele Rosé

It's been one week since I've been working for Liam Douglas owner of Douglas Industry Inc. And the work was more difficult than I thought but each day passing I pick up new useful skills. I became the personal assistant, but with every position comes work.

There were people going in and out of Liam's office everyday. It got more busy with phone calls, appointments and board meetings. Maybe in time I'll get the hang of this job.

"Here are the copies you asked for sir." I held out the papers to Liam, he looked up from his laptop and stared at me intensely almost making me shriek.

Then a moment later he took them from me. "Thank you, and I told you to call me Liam." He said plainly. I told him that I was only doing my job professionally- just like I always say to his friend slash business partner. However he ignored me completely and looked through the five sheets repeated and then back at me. "Be kind and give these to Mr Laurence."

I nodded and was off doing his request. I was let into the office after knocking. Cameron Laurence was seated on his chair behind the desk. "Mr Douglas said to review them." I announced.

He looked up in my way when I got to his desk and smiled. "Sandra, what a pleasure."

"The pleasure is all mine." I exptened the papers to him waiting for him to take it. Cameron scanned them and wrote a stick note, place it one the front and handing it back to me.

I'm sure you worked the rest out. Yes, I sent half of my day going back and forth, so these two could exchange sticky notes- Something they could have done through email- until I got pissed.

I was just walking over to hand Liam his next request of papers, in my usual outfit of a pencil skirt and blouse. "Take a seat." He said straight forward. I pulled a confused expression, but he didn't answer- in fact he stared back at me waiting for his order to be done.

My back was in the chair within milliseconds. "Have I done something wrong?" I panicked. Maybe I was getting fired. "You aren't planning on firing me-"

"Why do you always worried every time I ask you to sit? I'm not that horrible." He exclaimed, leaning back in his chair. There was a good pause of silence before Liam spoke up, "I was just going to ask, if you'd go to dinner with me."

The second those words left his mouth, I think I did a spit take. My heart rate picked up and my hands became sweaty. Is he asking for a date? I went through my head to find an excuse to decline, but the truth came out instead. "I can't, my daughter-"

"That's no problem, Adeline will join us." He spoke up before I could finish. Liam's body leaned forward on his desk, "I can make reservations." I thought about it and simply nodded. There was no rejecting him.

-

-

-

"Mommy, why can't I wear my pink shoes?" Adeline whined for about the tenth time. She sat on my bed, swinging her socks covered feet off the edge, refusing to follow my instruction on wearing her black, tiny wedge shoes- which were like the copy of Dorothy's red shoes.

I know I wasn't rich or even in middle class, but I tried really hard for my Adeline. It's just something I feel like I completely failed being a good mother. I picked up her hair brush and went over to her to brush out her already straight hair.