Chapter 3

"Wow, your eyes are very lovely. They are like precious rubies." The empress smiled.

"Thank you, your majesty." Catherina responded.

"If I had a child with the duke I'm sure that child will also look like you." She grinned.

'What's her problem?'

"Empress." The emperor's and the duke's expression darkened when they heard her words.

"Your majesty." Catherina's mother glared at her.

"Oh, I apologize. I made a slip of tongue." The empress chuckled, making light of the joke she said earlier.

"Callahan. Take Rina with you around the palace." Mother whispered.

"Yes, mother."

Catherina's mother kissed her cheek one last time before she left with Callahan.

"I hope you enjoy the palace, child. And to you too, Callahan." The empress smiled at her but stared at Callahan in an uninterested expression.

"Yes, your majesty."

'It seems like they're having their war without us.'

"Let's go, Rina." Callahan whispered.

Catherina just nodded in response.

*Slam*

.
.
.

After they left the dining room, Catherina's brother and her started roaming around the palace.

It was beautiful.

The place was huge and there are amazing plants out here.

There's also a lake and a greenhouse. It's a wonderful palace.

"Brother."

"Hm?"

While glancing around the place, she saw a tower.

"What's that tower?" She pointed at the old-looking building from afar.

"It's closed already. No one is allowed to enter that place."

"Oh. You've been here before?" Catherina asked.

"Yes. I often came here as the prince's playmate few years ago."

"Prince?"

"Uh-huh. Come here." He opened his arms, waiting for her sister to hug him.

He then carried her and she wrapped her arms around his neck per usual.

"Brother."

"Yes, Rina?"

"...Why is the empress like that earlier?"

Catherina knows that the empress has a thing for father but she wants to know why she's doing this.

There's absolutely nothing to gain with a few twisted words.. does she plan on ruining her family?

'Never.'

Callahan stopped his steps as Catherina asked the question.

He put her down on the ground and they sat on a bench nearby.

Callahan smiled at her.

"Rina.. actually, before father married mother, the empress was a bit obsessed with father."

'For real?'

"I was told that the empress always chased father back in the days."

"Then why are we here?"