Chapter 42: FOLA

#4,200

" Mumma, why would do that?" Yes, I was frustrated. 

" Yes, Mumma why?" And so was Ayan. 

Aman as always didn't speak up because he had to be the obedient one and needed to be in our parents' good books. But we both know he's equally upset.  

" Because your Papa and I've decided that you're not gonna spend your summer holidays glued to the screens toggling those buttons and screaming over the top of your lungs." She replied in a stern voice and all the three of us looked at our father who just shrugged. As if he had any chance to win this. But I know he's equally devasted because he used to stay up with us participating in our shenanigans.

I believe that is also one of the reasons for this kind of court-martial imposed on us. Mumma was feeling left out. 

" Do you remember those weeks before your holidays when you ardently desired to possess this new gadget? How well behaved were you? Now that you've been given what you wanted it's like you've forgotten how hard it was without it."

" Ahana, let them be. They're kids." Finally, Papa said something but he was thrown fierce daggers. 

" I know that pretty well. But, none of us should take anything or anyone for granted. Hence, they need to value the things given to them. I've never wanted them to know its price but they need to understand its value. And it's good to start small so that they don't lose on to big things later in their lives." 

We stood speechless. I might've been a bit small to understand it back then I think my brothers understood it just fine to protest any longer. 

I get it now. There are only two times when the value of something or someone is sky-high at the zenith -- one when we don't have it and the other when we lose it after we forget to appreciate it enough. 

And then there's this grey region when we've got this sinking feeling of fear of losing it despite having it for ourselves, despite loving it and appreciating and being grateful we fear for its impending loss. 

The What Ifs. This can be the worst of all I've realized lately. 

Fear Of Losing All, FOLA. :(
It's much more atrocious than Fear Of Missing Out, FOMO.

~ Aavya, after the heart-wrenching hospital fiasco. 

❋❋❋

" These are nowhere near bogus. They're damn real and they don't look pretty. " Miher spoke with distinction but his voice was soft and low. Yet, Aavya had heard him clearly. She popped her head up to meet his somber eyes that were clearly shouting something bad. 

" W-what do you mean?" She croaked.  

" Dr. Miher... Are you..." They turned to find the person behind the voice and Aavya's body sagged. Her body felt numb as if she had stuffed numerous painkillers except the pain was still there constantly. Riya stopped midway when she saw her. Her body was rigid but then after a while, she gave Aavya her warmest smile. A smile was not even the last thing Aavya had expected. Did she forget her? No, that can't be true. No one can forget the face of the person who is responsible for one's devastation. 

Miher chose silence and waited for Aavya to respond. Honestly, he had zero ideas how she might react. He had thought about arranging a decent subtle meeting between the two because primarily his end goal was not only to help Riya but at the very same time mend Aavya's guilty soul. He didn't wish for her to repent her whole life. Past can be disturbing but it would be tragic if Aavya never forgave herself which he knew she didn't. Despite her jubilant self deep down her heart and soul blamed herself for everything. Miher just wanted to free her remorse. He planned to do it in a proper way but then today happened. Some things just aren't in one's control.