Chapter 3-If something good happens, bad will follow it

As I was going through the lower cabinet and mindlessly thinking about Ruby, Zira says "hey, I found a lighter", I get pulled from my reverie with excitement "What really? Is it working?" She flicks the lighter a couple times causing some sparks to come out from it and at the third strike the fire started to burn, okay that's a good enough of a find Zira looks at me and smiles a small smile and turns to look at the fire, we havebeen using rocks to make fire for a while now and this is going to save a lot of time, she closes the lid and opens the zip of a small pocket in her bag, puts the lighter in and closes it.

We continue to go through the cabinets and Zira finds a jar of honey behind some of the plates at the counter top, I found acouple of sharp knives that could be used for both killing something and cooking it unless it is was a walker of course and Zira found some canned tuna this must be our lucky day when people evacuated their houses to go to government bunkers there wasn't a lot of stuff left behind for the scavengers to collect.

As we were going out of the kitchen I remember the radio at the nightstand I quickly went inside the room and took the radio in my hand and examined it and as Zira came inside the room she asked "What is it?", "I think it's a radio", "is it working?" she asks walking towards me "I don't know it seems to be okay I feel like this could work if we could give it some power, I think we should take it", "okay it seems like it's worth a shot" and I open my bag and put the radio in it and as I start to look around the room, I noticed it probably belong to a teenage girl with all the pictures of the same girl all around the room she reminded me of Sapphire my high school sweetheart.

Her dark brunette hair, light brown eyes, a dimple on her cheek, her luscious eyebrows and her pink lips that would curl up into one of the world's most contagious smile that would melt the coldest hearts and of course the universe doesn't allow me a single second to go through my memories because I was immediately depressed by the thought that she's probably dead or worse a Walker and then I remember Ruby and I feel guilt constricting my chest and pumping my heart faster and a huge ball forming down my throat making it harder and harder to breath but I try to forget about her and I turn around and start walking out of the room which was starting to make me claustrophobic for some reason,

weird I live in a tree house built by a couple of teenagers, with another adult but I feel claustrophobic in that room, with Zira following me out and we walk down the hallway checking all the other rooms cautiously making sure there isn't anything inside that would be useful and making sure nothing else is inside the house and for some reason I started to feel a bit paranoid and as we reached the middle of the hallway and the bottom of the staircase leading to the second floor we start to walk up the staircase which felt like they would break any second now and as we reached to the top there was a room which was closed and we went inside for the sheer sake of curiosity and I was blown away "OH.MY.GOD" I exclaimed with pure joy and excitement

the room looked like what used to be a working area or a reading room with a window in the side looking out on to the street but most importantly there is a bookshelf near the window about 5 feetwide filled with books, Zira looks at the bookshelf almost shrieks with excitement even though Zira isn't a big bookworm like me it's incredibly boring in the tree house since we have nothing to do we usually stare out the window and look at the stars and just go roaming around which is not really the best thing to do in a apocalypse with flesh eating monsters walking around but give us a break we don't have anything else to do.

We both almost jog towards the bookshelf I instinctively run my fingers on the books feeling there hard cover we start to read through the titles even though we'll probably take everything with us I come across a couple of books that I could recognise, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, Flower from the Storm by Laura Kinsale and The Bride by Julie Garwood I grab all four of those books and stuff them inside my bag and I spot a book that stands out a bit, Before I Die by Jenny Downham I take that book and see that in the front page it has written the words 'A book that will make you happy for being alive', I put the book inside my bag and

I turn to see Zira putting as much books as she can inside her bag and by the looks of her face I can see that she's incredibly desperate,"You know that you don't have to put everything in there right?", "Why not ?"she asks with a irritated look on her face still trying to push down all the books "because we can come back once we finish reading the ones we are taking and take some more back to home we don't want to overwhelm ourselves" and her face says it all "Oh yeah, you're right" and something catches my attention from my left peripheral vision through the window "did you shut the door behind you?" I ask Zira, she looks at me with a slight panic on her face "No, I didn't, why?" I felt fear. Pure fear and adrenaline was shot out of my brain to my body and I start to run with all the speed I could without crashing in to one of the walls, Zira follows me zipping her bag and grabbing her bat and as I start to run downstairs I pray to god that one of the stairs won't break and she asks me again while running "What is it?!!"