Year 4 Part 1 (chapter 17)

Word count: 1.1k
Warning: Alcohol and mentions of death

It's a week before the new school year... Severus Snape has finally decided to visit the Malfoys.

The reason is so he can get some very delicious firewhiskey.

And so he can spend some time with his friend Lucius, of course. But mainly to drink some firewhiskey.

As he apparates right outside Malfoy Manor, he notices the albino peacocks in the garden. He rolls his eyes at that. Of course, nothing is too fancy for the Malfoys.

Some people have dogs while others have rare albino birds.

They do love their peacocks, Lucius often goes for a walk in the garden to admire them.

Severus approaches the front door as he knocks. A few seconds later, a house elf greets him.

"Master Malfoy is ready to see Mr. Snape" the elf states as they open the door for him.

Nodding, Severus enters the building. He walks past the many doors, already knowing where to find the family.

Just as he expected, they are all in the living room.

"Ah, Severus, you finally came" Lucius says as he greets his friend.

"I did" Severus simply replies.

He notices another person in the room - Y/N Y/L/N. He raises an eyebrow at that. He thought that her father had forbidden her to come here.

Y/L/N gives her Head of House a shy smile. "Hello, sir" she says as she waves.

He clears his throat. "Hello, Ms. Y/L/N. What a... nice surprise to see you here" he says.

Draco laughs at that. "Yeah, right? Her father finally let her come here! She will stay with us until we return to Hogwarts. She's going to join Father and I to watch the Quidditch World Cup between Ireland and Bulgaria" the boy explains, looking quite excited.

Severus hums. "I see. Why did he have a sudden change of heart?" he questions.

"I convinced him. I told him that his daughter was more than welcome to spend the summer with us instead of staying at their home, all alone for over two months. As if the thought of his daughter being alone had never crossed his mind, he immediately agreed" Lucius explains, smirking.

"Enough of Mr. Y/L/N. How about a drink, Severus? The usual?" Narcissa asks, referring to a glass of firewhiskey.

Severus immediately nods. "Yes, thank you" he mutters.

She tells one of the house elves to fix the drink. Not even ten seconds later, they are already back with the requested item.

Lucius grabs the glass from the house elf that has come to serve it. He then hands it to Severus.

"Here you go, my friend. I just knew you wouldn't say no to firewhiskey" he says as he chuckles.

Severus immediately grabs the offered drink and takes a sip.

"The rich have one privilege - expensive and delicious firewhiskey" he mutters as he takes another sip.

Draco snorts at that. "We can buy whatever we want. Isn't that right, Father?" he asks as he looks at Lucius who nods.

"That's right, Draco. If I wanted the whole factory of the most expensive firewhiskey production, I could buy it without thinking twice of it" he states, looking smug.

Severus rolls his eyes at them. Rich Purebloods.

Narcissa rises from her seat. "I will go and check when dinner will be ready. I trust that you will stay to eat, Severus?" she asks as she looks at the Potions Master.

Severus looks at Y/L/N who shyly smiles at him. He then nods.

"It will be my pleasure" he says. The woman leaves the living room to check on the food in the kitchen.

"Right, Draco, I almost forgot. Would you like to see your new broom before we eat?" Lucius asks his son.

The boy's eyes immediately light up. "Yes, please! Will you stay here, Y/N?" he asks his friend who's sitting next to him on the couch.

The girl nods. "I will" she replies.

The father and son leave the room as well, leaving the Potions Master and the Slytherin girl alone.

Severus clears his throat. "So, you are staying with the Malfoys, huh?" he questions as he sits down on the couch to join her.

"That's right. Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy have been very kind to me. It will be interesting to watch the Quidditch game. I know Draco has been waiting for a long time, so imagine his joy when his father showed him the tickets" she says as she chuckles at the memory of an extremely happy Draco Malfoy.

Severus chuckles as well. He can definitely imagine Draco's face when Lucius came home to show the tickets.

The girl then clears her throat. "By the way, how was your summer, professor?" she asks him curiously.

"It was decent. I did what I usually do - prepare for the new school year, brew potions and read a few books" he states.

Y/L/N smiles at that. "Did you get a new book yet?" she questions. One day while she was helping organise the shelves, he told her that he has been meaning to get his hands on a book he hasn't read yet.

"I'm afraid I haven't. I honestly don't have the time to go book shopping" he says as he sighs.

She looks at him sympathetically. "Well, I hope you will someday" she says.

He nods at her gratefully. He however doubts that he will ever find a new book.

A house elf suddenly appears. "Mr. Snape, Ms. Y/L/N, dinner is served" the elf states.

Nodding, they both rise from the couch and enter the dining room to join the Malfoys.

A few hours later, they are finally done eating the fancy three-course meal.

Thanking the Malfoys for the meal and the drink, Severus decides to head back to Spinner's End.

"Thank you for dinner" he tells them.

"Of course, my friend. You are always welcome here, Severus. I do hope that you will visit us again soon" Lucius says as he smiles.

After a moment, Severus nods. "I will, I promise" he says, giving them his word.

He greets the four people goodbye as he leaves Malfoy Manor and apparates to Spinner's End. He did enjoy tonight - was it because of the firewhiskey or because Y/L/N was there?

Probably both.

Severus then groans. He had an opportunity that he just wasted - he didn't ask Lucius how Y/L/N's mother died.

At this point, he should probably just give up. He won't, though. He does have hope that he will know someday.

Maybe not today nor tomorrow, but someday he will.