CHAPTER 43 ↠ payday

Bea started working for Tommy and pretty soon she had the hang of how to do things and what she needed to do as Tommy's secretary

Bea started working for Tommy and pretty soon she had the hang of how to do things and what she needed to do as Tommy's secretary. Lizzie, who was getting closer to the end of her pregnancy, also gave her a few pointers when she once went to Tommy's house.

And as there were preparations and campaigns to have for Tommy to become MP for South Birmingham there was extra work to be done. Not only did Bea need to organize Tommy's schedule to fit meetings with important people who'd lead to him being elected, Bea also needed to study those said people, and gather information for Tommy to use on them.

But, despite having that and much more to do, Bea enjoyed working with Tommy. It was hectic and busy and going from one meeting to another, but it was exciting and fulfilling to know that she was being useful.

The pay was also good. Her first real pay, other than what she had gotten for Jack Bradley's portrait back in New York.

It was late and she was alone at the office, Tommy already had gone home and told her to lock the place when she left, when the doors swung open.

Bea shot her eyes to the door, startled by the broken silence, only to find relief at seeing Isaiah, smiling at her.

She shook her head and looked back down at the papers she was reviewing.

"If Tommy were here..." she starts.

"I knew he wasn't," Isaiah affirms amused. "He's back at the Garrison. Everyone is. It's payday."

"I know," Bea says with a smirk as she raises her eyes to Isaiah, who sits down across the table from her. "I just got my first pay," she shows him the money she had saved on the drawer.

"He pays you well."

"I deserve it," Bea states.

"Clearly, working at these hours when it's payday."

"Why's payday any different than any other day?" Bea asks, noticing how he was putting emphasis on that.

"Because everyone leaves early and goes to have a drink."

Bea shakes her head slightly and looks back down on the papers. "I don't feel like drinking today."

"Funny. That's what Finn said. And Finn is always up for drinking."

Bea stays still for a moment and then looks at Isaiah, putting her pen down.

"Fine," Bea gives in. "I'll go have a drink with you. Garrison?"

"Yes!" Isaiah says with triumph. "Let's go, Bea!"