Chapter 12: Pride

Sylvia stepped into the bedroom after Darian quietly, slowly closing the door after herself with a soft click. Of course Darian's family had insisted she stayed in his bedroom. It appeared they wanted grandchildren sooner rather than later.

"Darian what the heck?" Sylvia whisper yelled. Her brows were furrowed, arms in the air in frustration. Dinner had been the epitome of awkward, and it all could have been avoided if Darian had just simply told the truth.

"I'm sorry," Darian sighed, flopping down on his back on the bed. Sylvia realised she had never been in Darian's room before. It was perfectly immaculate, with every trinket and oddity having it's place.

On the walls, a mixture of maps, posters, and stuffed monster heads were lovingly hung in some sort of order Sylvia could not understand. Darian also had a large wooden desk, as well as a bookshelf jammed in.

And then, of course, the closet.

Hunters didn't typically own many clothes, rather preferring to don their armour in case of emergency around any corner. But Darian's was also filled with a lot of regular clothes. Chiffon scarves, fancy boots, tight leather pants.

Darian's room was a reflection of Darian himself. A battle between the hunter and the man, struggling to balance the two and coming up exceptionally short. It made Sylvia feel sad, not only for Darian but herself.

She remembers her room when she was a teenager. How her parents let her decorate it however she pleased, despite the terrible taste she had. It was the one space where she felt completely relaxed, like she owned it. And that had been ripped away from her.

She sighed with Darian, plonking down on the bed next to him.

"I had never seen him so proud of me Sylvia," he said, staring up at the roof as he lie on the soft douve.

"I've tried telling him multiple times, and each time it's the same response. But bring a girl home, and all is forgiven!" He was growing louder as he talked, the passion dripping from his voice. Sylvia frowned.

"But that's not who you are, it's a lie," she said, placing a hand on his knee. Darian dragged his gaze from the roof to look at her.

"It doesn't matter who I am, it only matters I fit his perfect cookie cutter mold," Darian spat, rolling over. Sylvia grabbed his shoulder, yanking him back towards her. His eyes were wide with surprise, not expecting her to do that.

"It matters to us. To me, Aliyah, even... Even Dirella despite how much of an ass she is," Sylvia said, moving back away.

"You don't get it. You don't have to deal with this. Your family is dead," Darian slipped up, the instant realisation showing on his horrified face. He clapped a hand over his mouth, wishing he could take the words back.

Sylvia pressed her lips into a thin line, not wanting to retaliate. She knew he didn't mean it, but that didn't make it hurt any less.

"Sylvia, I-"

"It's fine. You're upset, I get it," Sylvia said, standing and walking over to the desk. On top were a bunch of maps, drawings, and a diary. Of course Darian kept a diary.

"But how long are we going to keep this up?" She asked, turning back around to face Darian. She leant against the desk, both hands splayed behind her to stabilise herself.

Darian offered no response, his mouth opening and shutting like a goldfish. Sylvia rolled her eyes.

"Just this week? For the rest of the year? Until we get married and start a family?" Sylvia felt herself becoming frustrated. She was looking forward to spending time developing her relationship with Aliyah. She felt as if they were still learning about one another. But now Darian had gone and made things messy. The logical one was now being illogical.

"Just.... Give me some time. Some time to see what it's like to have a father who is proud of you," Darian pleaded, eyes round and doe like. Sylvia sighed.

"I'll keep up the rouse, but only because you're my best friend. But Darian, you can't keep lying to them. Besides, pretty sure your dad is the only one buying it," Sylvia replied, to which Darian nodded stiffly.

They both sat there for a while, not moving, not speaking. Stewing in their own emotions and thoughts.

"Think your brother will give me his blessing?" Darian broke the silence, a tiny chuckle coming from his throat. Sylvia couldn't help but laugh in return. She soon shut up as she heard foot steps coming from above. She held a hand up, signalling Darian to keep quiet also.

Sylvia heard the foot steps walking out of a room upstairs, before heading down the corridor towards the winding staircase in the middle of the Jenkins's residence. They slowly crept down the stairs, and we're heading towards the room Adrian and Sylvia were in.

"Aliyah," Sylvia whispered, her eyes following where she thought Aliyah would be based on the sounds of their footsteps.

"How do you know?" Darian asked, cocking a head.

"Those foot steps were dead quiet. Aliyah is a seven foot elf who weighs practically nothing, but has a large foot size to evenly distribute the weight. Trust me, it was Aliyah," Sylvia said, walking towards the door.

"How do you know how much they weigh?" Darian teased, raising a brow. Sylvia felt her face grow red, as the blush crept across her skin.

"I just.... Do," she said.

Suddenly, there was a gentle knocking on the door. Sylvia glanced at Adrian, before shrugging and slowly opening the door to reveal Aliyah. Sylvia shot a look back at Darian, as if to say I told you so, before stepping backwards to let Aliyah in.

"I am confused," Aliyah simply stated. They sat down on the bed looking up at Sylvia.

"Yes, I know it's confusing. Darian and I aren't dating, it's just an act for his parents," Sylvia sighed, plinking down on the bed next to Aliyah.

"So they do not know you are gay?" Aliyah turned to face Darian, a quizzical look on their face.

"They do. Sort of. But they just don't want to acknowledge it," Darian too sighed, before sitting down on the other side of Aliyah.

"Human's are... Stupid," Aliyah said plainly, looking back and forth between Sylvia and Darian.

"Yes. They are indeed."