Chapter 45: Reconnaissance

"I was hoping for more." Said Tokoyami, equally disappointed and annoyed.

"The location was the important part. All you need to do is scout the area and then report back. Nothing fancy or special, just straightforward recon." Said Hawks, looking over the map spread on the table.

"Terrain is good, and the weather should be in my favor tonight." Said Tokoyami, looking over the map as well.

"Probably easiest to come in via the south. No trails or roads on that side of the mountain." Hawks said tapping that area of the map.

"I was thinking the east, maybe around 2 AM, that way the shadows will be more in my favor and Dark Shadow will blend in easier." Said Tokoyami.

"Not a bad idea... Both work fine, just pick whichever you find easier." Said Hawks shrugging.

The two heroes had been going back and forth like this for the better part of an hour and a half. Working out the best options and plans for how to best scout out the mountain that Zeus had made his base of operations out of. For tonight, it would be a simple scouting op, followed by a more robust recon once they got some preliminary information about the exterior defenses. AFO had constructed one of his main research and Nomu production facilities inside of the mountain decades ago and since then it had been steadily expanded by AFO, Shigaraki, and now Zeus. Unfortunately, that was all Fenrir had been able to give them about the base itself.

Fenrir had managed to give them a few names about people Zeus had recruited into his organization since his take over, but most of them were foreigners and information was spotty. Apart from the powerful mystery man Zeus had allegedly recruited, they didn't see any of them posing serious problems.

"I think I'm ready to go." Said Tokoyami at last. He took a step back from the table, and did a mental rundown of everything he had. He wanted to be sure he wasn't forgetting anything.

"I can't think of anything else we need to do, so I'd say you're good to go as well. Good luck." Said Hawks.

"Thank you, and likewise." Said Tokoyami, hefting his gear over his shoulder and making his way out of the room.

He made his way to the lockers, where he quickly equipped his gear and then headed to the roof. When he opened to door to the roof, he was was surprised but happy to see Tsu waiting for him.

"Heading out?" she said, getting up from her seat and putting a folder down on it.

He nodded.

"All right, stay safe." She said, embracing him.

He embraced her in turn and they stayed like that for a while. He had to break it off though and took a step back.

"I'll see you tomorrow, but I'm not sure when. I might rest on the way back, so it might not be until the evening," he said.

"I'll be waiting, ribbit," she said, reaching up and giving him a quick peck on the cheek before stepping back herself.

He smiled, and before thoughts of shirking the mission came to mind, he enveloped himself in Dark Shadow and vanished into the night sky.

______________________________________________

He flew through the darkness, the wind rushing around him as he approached the Kiso Mountains. It was positioned straight north from Musustafu and was positioned right in between several key cities including Tokyo, and a few military installations. A perfect strategic position, where Zeus could strike from and hit any of those key locations with ease. It was also away from prying eyes, covered in hiking trails, where few people ventured. There was a skying area further north, but it had been closed down during the war and had yet to reopen.