Chapter Thirty Eight: Escaping The Venator

"What took you two so long?" Hunter perked a suggestive brow at the two as they stacked the two crates of rations.

"It was dark," Cass answered without meeting his eyes.

Hunter shifted his weight to one side and propped a hand on his hip. "And?"

"And the ceiling collapsed," Tech added in quickly.

"And?" Hunter probed again.

Cass nervously glanced over at Tech, then back to Hunter. "So we um—we had to you know, uncover the entrance," she explained as she exhaled a tired breath and leaned against the top crate.

"Yes, precisely," Tech nodded and finally met Hunter's gaze.

"You really expect me to buy that?" Hunter scoffed and stepped closer to the pair.

Cass shook her head and scrunched her brows. "We're not lying."

"Well you're definitely not telling the truth," Hunter retorted. "I could practically sense you both from over there."

Tech sighed a rubbed his hands together anxiously. "It is completely natural to-"

"-We're supposed to be getting out of here and you two di'kuts are fooling around? Seriously?" Hunter hissed lowly. "You can't be doing that kind of stuff, especially with Omega being as observant as she is."

Cass and Tech looked at each other one last time before staring at the ground shamefully, unaware that Wrecker and Echo had noticed the argument from across the way.

"What's goin' on here?" Wrecker glanced between the others and crossed his arms.

Cass rubbed her palm and shrugged her shoulders quickly. "It's nothing-"

"-Tech and Cass here were messing around in the supply room," Hunter answered and jutted a thumb out in their direction.

Echo stifled a disgusted groan while Wrecker laughed heartily and patted Tech roughly on the back.

"Ha! Alright, way to go, Techie!" Wrecker cheered as Tech's blush bloomed across his cheeks.

"Don't encourage them," Hunter reprimanded.

"Eh, don't mind him," Wrecker chuckled and slung his arms around the couple's shoulders. "He's just mad because his little brother has a girlfriend-"

Hunter pinched the bridge of his nose. "That's not why-"

"-While he hasn't gotten any in months," Wrecker continued and shot an empathetic look towards the sergeant.

"Any what?" Omega peeped up from behind.

The five of the adults spun on the heels and stared at Omega with wide eyes. Wrecker rubbed his palms together and bit the inside of his lip, racking his brain for an explanation.

"Don't-" Hunter warned quietly in Wrecker's direction.

As Wrecker stumbled over his words, Omega's brow rose and her arms doubled over.